[Archive: 2013] Regorty's Entry

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Here is my first, well technically second, attempt at making a map. Apparently I was told to put it into the contest and see if it's any good or not. Feel free to crush my dreams of ever becoming a mapper. I am sure I deserve it.
The map is pretty simple design, it is a mine and has mine carts in it. Oh and it has wooden supports so you wouldn't forget that you are in a mine.

Map download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y95bwgx891g69ss/Mines_Practice.rmf

Pictures:(Taken in Hammer)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9u8chrdr3qtllc/Mines_Screenshot1.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcpqxjk9m3ri9cp/Mines_Screenshot2.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uw0rwd2rx93544/Mines_Screenshot3.png

Side note: I don't actually have a name for my map either, sorry.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: [Section 1] Regorty's Entry

No too shabby... Check your Alt+P though...

For empty solids, select the error, click Go To, close the error report window, and float the mouse over one of the 2D views (just float, don't click), and press the Delete key. For texture perpendicular to face errors, you'll need to select the offending brush (also with Go To Error), hit Shift+A for the texture editor, and check "world".

It's good habit that you've nulled the outside of your map, but more important is to null faces that aren't visible but inside the hull - such the outer edges of your support arches, and the underside of your mine tracks. Shouldn't be a huge performance issue with brushes this simple, but a good habit to get into. It's much more important when brush entities are involved.

Oyster's dire prediction of a ton of underground maps cropping up seems to be coming to fruition after all - although I don't think any of these are going to be ready to go come March. (And, of course, Dridje /ragequit on us.)

This maybe a bit of a spoiler, but Cyax dropped remakes of the first two maps of ms_quest into my lap, but I need to populate those as well - neither of these is a mine oriented map though.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
No too shabby... Check your Alt+P though...

For empty solids, select the error, click Go To, close the error report window, and float the mouse over one of the 2D views (just float, don't click), and press the Delete key. For texture perpendicular to face errors, you'll need to select the offending brush (also with Go To Error), hit Shift+A for the texture editor, and check "world".

It's good habit that you've nulled the outside of your map, but more important is to null faces that aren't visible but inside the hull - such the outer edges of your support arches, and the underside of your mine tracks. Shouldn't be a huge performance issue with brushes this simple, but a good habit to get into. It's much more important when brush entities are involved.

Oyster's dire prediction of a ton of underground maps cropping up seems to be coming to fruition after all - although I don't think any of these are going to be ready to go come March.
Well, I usually only check for errors if I can't compile the map. I didn't really get into the habit of nulling the unseen textures of my map until about halfway through it. I did copy and paste the supports and rails.. there was a lot of them! I never did think about textures on the supports... *Makes note for future reference*

Oh, I also am really bad with entities, I couldn't figure out the door.. or how to make push triggers or flowing water.. actually I am just all around terrible at mapping. Time to go find something else to waste my life doing.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

That'd be a shame - you're pretty damn good for a beginning mapper - if this is your first map, it's the best first map I've ever seen.

Entities sometimes take a bit of trial and error to learn (specially doors, rotators, and the like). If you have a specific entity in question (particularly if its one you can give me a targetname to look at), I can try to answer it, no problem.

Best habit is to null before, rather than after... Start with your brushes painted null, then paint the visible areas - especially if yer gonna copy-pasta said brush sets. It's a bit cumbersome with the default null texture though, which is why I use a custom one myself.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score

some good stuff here. i could see you becoming a pretty good mapper!

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
That'd be a shame - you're pretty damn good for a beginning mapper - if this is your first map, it's the best first map I've ever seen.

Entities sometimes take a bit of trial and error to learn (specially doors, rotators, and the like). If you have a specific entity in question (particularly if its one you can give me a targetname to look at), I can try to answer it, no problem.

Best habit is to null before, rather than after... Start with your brushes painted null, then paint the visible areas - especially if yer gonna copy-pasta said brush sets. It's a bit cumbersome with the default null texture though, which is why I use a custom one myself.
I used a nulled block for all the walls, ceilings, floors, bridges, and columns.

ceriux said:

Thanks, I tried to keep it relatively simple due to me only having a months time and me being worried about having too high of a poly count.

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

From looking at your .RMF, I can see you have a lot of potential as a mapper. Your map has a lot of detail in it and the wooden structures look good too.

The water will look much better if you change the func_water's Render Mode to Texture, and the Render Amount to around 80 or so.

You can enhance your map by placing env_models here and there such as props/wagon2 & props/wood_barrel1.

Also, I'm not really a fan of that dirt texture.. you should use something like 'ms_dirt02' if you have it.

You should learn vertex manipulation, especially when doing caves. I'm no expert but here is a link you may find useful (that whole site overall is great tbh).

Regorty said:
..maybe once I have figured out how lighting works..

There is point entity lighting which you can use with various appearances e.g. for torches, strobe lighting .etc and combine them with env_sprites for nice effects.

And there is texture lighting which is great for crystals, wall lights and such (it also means you use less entities :D)
How to use texture lighting:
  • Place an 'info_texlights' entity somewhere in your map
  • Select it and go to Edit > Properties
  • Add a new keyvalue
  • In Key, write the name of the texture you want to use texture lighting on
  • In Value, write the RGB Brightness of your texture (keep in mind texture lighting is usually darker than point entity lighting)

To get the right colour for my texture lighting I usually place a point entity light in the map, choose a colour and then copy the RGB values. Here is an example of what it should look like.

Keep it up, Regorty.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Expanding on what Caluminium said for texture lighting:

A shortcut to getting perfectly colored lighting from the texture is to set the value to - 255 255 255 XXX - (XXX being your desired brightness)

This makes the texture emit light based on the color of the texture. This is not desired 100% of the time, but very useful when needed.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

So now the question remain. Do I continue to map or just give it up? I am not really planning on doing anything else though. Right now I am worn out on trying to map. But you guys seem to be able to tell me soo much about mapping.. after I completed my map which would have been helpful sooner. So again. Should I keep at it or find something else to do?

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score

if you like it but your burnt out, try seeing if theres a similar skill you may like. or take up texture editing, it'll assist you later if you decide to continue mapping. modding should be a hobby. something you enjoy. otherwise it'll just be a drag.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Regorty said:
So again. Should I keep at it or find something else to do?

Caluminium said:
From looking at your .RMF, I can see you have a lot of potential as a mapper.
Ceriux said:
Thothie said:
you're pretty damn good for a beginning mapper - if this is your first map, it's the best first map I've ever seen!

Yes, clearly you need to quit while you're ahead. :p

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Regorty said:
So again. Should I keep at it or find something else to do?

Caluminium said:
From looking at your .RMF, I can see you have a lot of potential as a mapper.
Ceriux said:
Thothie said:
you're pretty damn good for a beginning mapper - if this is your first map, it's the best first map I've ever seen!

Yes, clearly you need to quit while you're ahead. :p

Then consider this a retirement gift. It's been.. a headache, but fun. I guess I will focus on actually playing the game now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I clearly need better sarcasm tags. :oldcry:

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
I clearly need better sarcasm tags. :oldcry:
Its ok Thothie, I still love you!

Rickler

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Regorty,

Looking from above, this map has a lot of connections! I see a really promising complex map here.

Brushwork: Very blocky, but that blockiness allowed you to create some interesting room connections without worrying about poly counts. 7/10

Lighting: No BSP? No pics? 0/10

Textures: Not the best textures but I'm sure with some lighting they will work fine. 5/10

Layout/Looks: One of the most interesting map layout I've seen, very promising! 9/10

Overall I'd say 6.5 with some lighting. But with no lighting it's a 5.5/10

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Regorty

Score: 6/10

Brushwork - 6/10

The cave walls are very simple and blocky. However, the brushwork really shines with the artificial structures. They aren't complicated, but they are super logical. You have taken what you are studying in school and applied it very well to this map and it really helps to give this map character.

Entwork - 2/10

The entity work in this map is very minimal, but it should be pointed out that this was Regorties very first time using Hammer.

Layout - 10/10

I almost want to give this an 11/10. When it comes to layout, this map is the best entry. It's intricate, with many places to explore. This layout + random monster spawns + random events = Epic replay value.

Lighting - 0/10

There are no lights.

Textures - 4/10

I personally disagree with most of the textures used in this map. A thorough re-texturing could make this map look ten times better.

This is an amazing first map. I give a score of 6/10.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

This entry certainly shows a lot of promise. It has a nice layout with simple brushwork but it manages to use that to it's advantage in making some interesting rooms and passages. Although it lacks in lighting and other such finishing touches this map definitely shows some real potential.

Score 6 / 10

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Judging Regorty's Entry

The Good:
• Big with excellent layout, one of the few maps submitted not really in need of expansion (if not the only one).
• Best "my first map" ever.

The Bad:
• No BSP provided, so I can't be sure of the settings coming out right.
• No lighting beyond the spawn. ><
• Not populated
• Several empty solids (deleted before compile)
• Several "Texture axis perpendicular to face" errors (fixed before compile)
• Flooded mine area looks a little hi-tech (reinforced concrete texture).
• Bit boxy over all (I keep looking for Endermen)
• Texture selection is a bit on the dull side (having to use max glow everywhere makes it look even worse though).
• Hard to tell if you're supposed to be able to climb some of these ramps or not
• Texture on ladder @ 2293 -446 144 - seems to have wrong texture or rendermode.

Final:
6.5/10 - Though I give it a 10/10, out of first time maps I've seen. The overall build methodology should also help make for more prolific work.