• I like the idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not like the idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The way that you build a character in Master-Sword is very interesting. To become stronger you become a "Master" in all skills, or at least proficient. This system is probably the most realistic and enjoyable system I have seen in a game. The only other game that I know of that has a similar character building system would be the free online java-based game "Runescape".

Runescape is a decent game until leveling skills becomes more of a chore than any sort of enjoyable experience. (or until the graphics begin to hurt your eyes =P)

In Runescape, they implemented a system that allowed "jack-of-all" trade characters to become a little more specialized. They did this with equipment, such as Mage Robes, Plate Armor, and Ranger Leather Armor. These items had various and somewhat logical effects on a players combat abilities.

Plate Mail obviously gave more physical protection, but made it hard to cast magic (explained by magic's inability to flow freely through heavy armor). Plate Mail also gave the user a weakness to magic, or at least an improved hit rate for spells to damage the user. Plate Mail also made it more difficult to use a bow, due to restricted movement.
-In the 4 melee damage types, plate was most susceptible to bashing attacks and fairly resistant to ranged, stabbing and slashing
-chain mail gave less physical protection but allowed a lesser penalty for using magic or ranged

Mages Robes allowed magic gain great magic resistance, improved hit rate and damage, while the obvious downside made the user vulnerable to any kind of melee damage.

Ranger Leather gave more melee protection than robes, but less protection than plate. Ranger Leather Armor allowed increased protection from magic, and it increased ranged damage.

What I propose, like others probably have already would be armors that improve and restrict a characters skills. In either this version, or perhaps Source.

...and because everyone is so inclined to call any posts not their own as
"DURKA DUUUR +1!"

What exactly do you call your post calling me out?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I would definitely love to get some ranger armor ingame - Lightweight, strong armor that's resistant to magic, but not TOO great against physical blows. My favorite idea about Runescape that I would like to see brought over is the ability/need to choose your equipment based on what you want to train. Right now it's pretty much just taking the correct weapon out of the bank. I'd much rather see going to a bank, depositing my heavy platemail, and taking out lightweight armor/magical armor to go train something new.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The only aspect of runescape I liked was the ability to kill someone and take everything they had with them.

Back on topic, I do like the thought of this sort of a system.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
MS:C WOULD have classes if they worked properly. I still believe though you would be a "Jack of all trades" with a slight boost/decrease in the class' best/worst area.

decon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This is a very nice idea. Also, this would make people think harder about a specialization because it would take a lot of money and space (as in weight) to carry around armors for every skill one might decide to use.

jord230790

New Adventurer
Reaction score
nopeey

It's a pretty stupid idea since MS:C is being dropped
for MS:S.. stop working on improving MS:C all your hard work will
go to waste.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about Jord? MS:C isn't being dropped. MS:C is going to be in production for quite awhile. Don't come to our forums and tell us that what we're doing is pointless/worthless.

And you wonder why people don't like you...

jord230790

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Forgive me if im seening things but:

??

Kuroneko said:
The Master Sword Continued project will now be moving to the source engine! We will finialy be able to shed the limitations that the 8+ year old HL1 engine has put on us, and soar again.

Granted, this change will not be easy. We are going to be hiring for just about every position starting....Now. If you would like to join the team, send an email to [email protected] with the position you are looking to fill, contact information, and some examples of your previous work and we will get back to you as promptly as possible.

Many of you are saying to yourselves "What about the HL1 version?" Well, the sad news is that we basicly have to just drop it. If you have a team of people willing to continue in the MS tradition, send us an email at [email protected].

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Re: ..

jord230790 said:
Forgive me if im seening things but:

??

Kuroneko said:
The Master Sword Continued project will now be moving to the source engine! We will finialy be able to shed the limitations that the 8+ year old HL1 engine has put on us, and soar again.

Granted, this change will not be easy. We are going to be hiring for just about every position starting....Now. If you would like to join the team, send an email to [email protected] with the position you are looking to fill, contact information, and some examples of your previous work and we will get back to you as promptly as possible.

Many of you are saying to yourselves "What about the HL1 version?" Well, the sad news is that we basicly have to just drop it. If you have a team of people willing to continue in the MS tradition, send us an email at [email protected].

= Thothie :arrow:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The original mod team left MS:C a LONG time ago. Have we died yet?

Doesn't look like it.

jord230790

New Adventurer
Reaction score

I'm sorry. i Truely am.
I'm the one without the facts.
Sorry i was an ignorant little cun*.
Some times i just cant help me self.

I just want to be liked.

I guess im just trying to hard..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Pay no attention to the fact that there's been one or more patches every month for almost two years now, and the fact that the game world has expanded from 11 to 44 maps since that post. It means nothing.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Lol - Thothie offended? This is a new one ;-) (You know, when J-M, Doc, or I aren't involved..)

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Pay no attention to the fact that there's been one or more patches every month for almost two years now, and the fact that the game world has expanded from 11 to 44 maps since that post. It means nothing.

gg

now back on topic people =P

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well if you want to count mappers/modelers, we have..

Me, DrKill, Barnum, Blasto, Vomica, Dridje, and the guy making thornlands, if he's even around. And the three (other) people dRkill said he got for mapping.

MS:C has Thothie and the plethora of mappers for it.. it may be an even match, I have no clue.

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
If you guys weren't so uncharacteristically optimistic, you might see that both mods are developmentally dead. MSS has no real progress to becoming a real source mod at any rate. If you beg to differ with me on this, go work on as many source mods as I have, and then come back with your opinion. I have worked on dozens of mods that had everything -- coders, modellers, texture artists, and animators like me. Then they go to the shitter, even though they had everything, including passion. Mods like RNL, INS, and BMS are barely making it out with a fully staffed development team, excellent PR, and a thriving community. This is what needs to happen to produce source mods...otherwise you make a single version with very basic structure, or no trials at all. It's not like the old days of modmaking anymore, and the one mod that made it out back when it was the golden age of source tinkering was GMOD. Every single other mod failed out there (don't even count mods like SMOD...custom CSS weapons downloaded from FPSbanana with a lots of effects doesn't make a mod in my eyes.) MSC is also dead, with no new development being done, besides a new weapon here and there and a new map (both being horribly reskinned models of other weapons and unartistically designed maps.)

I hate to be deathly serious, and I enjoy this game, but thats pretty much the truth in my eyes. In a few years this MSS will only be a memory, and MSC will be on a list of old HL mods, like so many others out there. All of the developers here still have time to prove me wrong, but you have to roll a twenty to make it happen.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Glorfindel said:
If you guys weren't so uncharacteristically optimistic, you might see that both mods are developmentally dead. MSS has no real progress to becoming a real source mod at any rate. If you beg to differ with me on this, go work on as many source mods as I have, and then come back with your opinion. I have worked on dozens of mods that had everything -- coders, modellers, texture artists, and animators like me. Then they go to the ****, even though they had everything, including passion. Mods like RNL, INS, and BMS are barely making it out with a fully staffed development team, excellent PR, and a thriving community. This is what needs to happen to produce source mods...otherwise you make a single version with very basic structure, or no trials at all. It's not like the old days of modmaking anymore, and the one mod that made it out back when it was the golden age of source tinkering was GMOD. Every single other mod failed out there (don't even count mods like SMOD...custom CSS weapons downloaded from FPSbanana with a lots of effects doesn't make a mod in my eyes.) MSC is also dead, with no new development being done, besides a new weapon here and there and a new map (both being horribly reskinned models of other weapons and unartistically designed maps.)

I hate to be deathly serious, and I enjoy this game, but thats pretty much the truth in my eyes. In a few years this MSS will only be a memory, and MSC will be on a list of old HL mods, like so many others out there. All of the developers here still have time to prove me wrong, but you have to roll a twenty to make it happen.

Well, Mr. I worked in Source, get your ass to work. Oh, and don't mind the bug fixes and hardcoding in MSC, that's just nothing.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Glorfindel, if you've worked on so many mods, then why don't you contribute?

Mmkay, I'll break this down into sections:

MS:C
You claim it's dead, though I see production every month. So what if it's just a few items or a new map? That's change. Of course it's going to look small if you talk about it like that, but there are plenty of people that put their hearts into this mod, adding maps, and occasionally weapon models. I really don't see where you get off telling them that their maps suck. They're not pros.

It's because of all these sub-developers that MS:C isn't going to be dying anytime soon. Maybe if you would pay attention you would see what Thothie said. We went from 11 maps to 44! A mod that can produce 4x the maps from the community, that mod isn't going to die anytime soon.

I still am really curious what it takes to be considered "in development". Thothie releases bug fixes, new monsters, new mapper toys, etc. What more could you want? Have you ever tried passing ideas through this community and getting them ingame? Good luck.

MS:S
While progress is slow, the mod is not dead. There is work being done, there are people looking for more developers. You seem to be mistaking like of actual development to mean a mod is dead. Until dRkILL and Kuroneko give up, that mod isn't going to DIE, either. It may be inactive, it may be on hold, but they're actively working to get people interested/recruited into the dev team.

You're incredibly pessemistic.