Character Reset?

Should the characters be reset in the final '1.01' patch?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The character reset is being done for more reasons than just the fact people have used some exploits.

Due to overlooked problems with stats raising, it's easier to just restart them so everyone will have proper values.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
and so half the ms community is fumbled to something else

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think vertthrasher speaks for the whole NO community with his rather large post. It should be a client/server side delete if "wanted" not a dev thing.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I guess its obvious they made their mind up :roll:

So me and the 5 other people i play with are stuck with the old version, going to continue playing our current character til we get through game, crashing on every map change, then quit.

Thanks msc

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well - it maybe the new XP system would simply destroy the older characters if they ran under it. (eg. You hit a rat with an old character and suddenly you have -65535 in a skill). So if the old XP system and the new XP system are incompatible in such a way, the devs may have no choice - and this thread maybe rather moot. (Or at least, misnamed.)

If they are compatible, however - seems the sploitz would be a much bigger motivator than the change in XP system.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
vertthrasher said:
I don't understand how you consider the chests in challs to be a bug. Maybe a development decision error, but not a bug.
Exploit, not bug. Exploit.
vertthrasher said:
Sythe (I dont think that's spelled right) is indeed a bug I forgot about, but freaking seriously do you think it has affected people that much?
:roll:
vertthrasher said:
Monsters spawning in the ceiling works AGAINST the player because you can't reach them. Besides its not like calrains feet are in the ceiling for free slashing until he dies without him touching you once. Most of the time you can actually hit them they are just rats and bats.
You can reach them. Tis called a bow. Or a spell...
And I think it was skeletons.
vertthrasher said:
I have no idea what the crazy wizard bug is, but it doesn't sound that bad.
You can get free high level spells. Probably the highest in the game.

You seem to have gotten yourself really worked up. I don't remember trying to disprove your point, or being rude.

I think it's time to calm down.

:roll:

Raptor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
look at it this way:

the game is largely incomplete, do you want a character that's played for 3 weeks and is missing half the skills in the game because it wasn't even in the game yet? or do you want a character that in the same time has done twice the amount of things that first one has, and they weren't done at level 30, killing most things in 1-2 hits?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
vertthrasher said:
The only exploits I have even heard of was the helena money exploit (which was fixed almost immediately), and the parry exploit with the rats in the pool.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Oh God, I can't breathe... the laughing!

vertthrasher said:
We don't need the devs to treat us like babies and make these kind of choices for us.
Hello? The community votes here. The developers themselves want our input concerning this 'horrible', 'sickening' and 'dreadful' character deletion. You are a part of the 'No'-group, the minority. I am a part of the 'Yes'-group, the majority. That means the largest part of the community (> 50%) wants a full character reset.
THIS IS A POLL!

Also note how this topic's subject is "character reset" and not "character reset, but not clientside character reset because of whiney bastards LOLOL". If you want to discuss any other (possible) options, do so in another thread.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Raptor said:
look at it this way:

the game is largely incomplete, do you want a character that's played for 3 weeks and is missing half the skills in the game because it wasn't even in the game yet? or do you want a character that in the same time has done twice the amount of things that first one has, and they weren't done at level 30, killing most things in 1-2 hits?

Well, for some reason I highly doubt their releasing many more items, monsters, maps and skills on the next release, so whats the difference?

LEFTOVER_CRACK

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i just want the fixes, then new maps, etc. i dont care if someone has a higher level than me b/c they chose to use the exploits or w/e, b/c i play either alone or with a friend on lan. if the only way for me to get any of that stuff is with my char being reset, then i dont care. i only ask that this reset happens soon, as i dont want to waste nemore time on a char to no avail

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Rayon said:
Raptor said:
look at it this way:

Well, for some reason I highly doubt their releasing many more items, monsters, maps and skills on the next release, so whats the difference?

On the next release (1.01), no. 1.01 is just going to be a bug fix patch. After that.......

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
vertthrasher said:
The only exploits I have even heard of was the helena money exploit (which was fixed almost immediately), and the parry exploit with the rats in the pool.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Oh God, I can't breathe... the laughing!

vertthrasher said:
We don't need the devs to treat us like babies and make these kind of choices for us.
Hello? The community votes here. The developers themselves want our input concerning this 'horrible', 'sickening' and 'dreadful' character deletion. You are a part of the 'No'-group, the minority. I am a part of the 'Yes'-group, the majority. That means the largest part of the community (> 50%) wants a full character reset.
THIS IS A POLL!

Also note how this topic's subject is "character reset" and not "character reset, but not clientside character reset because of whiney bastards LOLOL". If you want to discuss any other (possible) options, do so in another thread.

LOLOL I CAN'T BREATHE!!! JM is so dumb that he makes logs look smart :oldlol: :oldlol: no sorry you can leave now. You probably have made the worst post I have seen in internet forum history. Since when did this turn into a flaming contest? Your post reminded me of something I would see at the flamehaus. On a second note, my post had about a massive amount of reasons to back up my "no" statement. What have you "yes" guys given me for your reasoning? Just about a whole lot of nothing. Not only that, but I gave out a solution that would work for everyone instead of just spamming "no" and leaving it at that. So what if you are part of the "majority" 40% of the master sword community has voted no, that is quite a large amount. You guys can cry "exploits" and "bugs" all day long, but in the end, every release of every game ever had exploits and bugs. (the ones in ms 1.0 were EXTREMELY small. The only bug I even remotely consider to be a true exploit/bug was the helena glitch. The rest is highly debatable, monsters getting stuck in walls has been in master sword since the dawn of its first release. I guarantee you with the next patch there will be a few exploits as well. Oh I guess that means we should just start for scratch all over again every day!

Obviously its a poll, but NOT deleting them fits EVERYONE 100% of people case closed because you can make your own decision whether to make a new char/delete your old one. Deleting them fits 50% of the community. I was just pointing that out. If they are going to resort to character deletions for minor bugs such as the ones in the 1.0 release, what is the point of central/client/serverside chars. Go ahead try and find ANY problem with the solution I described in my previous post that conflicts with your "PHENOMENALLY HUGE MASSIVE EXPLOITS AND BUGS ALL OVER MS so you HAVE to delete every character!!" Idea. I had no intention of making myself sound selfish or arrogant, but if you push I will punch back.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Here are two PHENOMENALLY HUGE MASSIVE EXPLOITS you should definately know about, so you don't have a clouded judgement:

One: AI-player-interaction-freeze bug. Randomly when a player leaves, all text disappears. This is called the 'text-bug'. Mostly when the text-bug occurs, the biggest exploit in the entire game is also triggered. The AI (NPC's and monsters) stop responding to players. They just wander around aimlessly for you to whack them, gaining really easy XP.

Two: The Keledros bug. This is the 'crazy wizard' bug which you consider not to be so bad. Well guess what: this bug is massive, here's how to reconstruct it:

One player rushes towards Keledros and hits him in the face while the other players wait outside. This one player then runs outside so the other players can walk in. Somehow, Keledros only targets the first player to rush him (scripting error), so the others can just whack him without even being attacked. It's easy to corner Keledros and to kill him. When he turns into his skeleton form, he can't even hit the player he originally targeted (older released), or only the player he originally targeted (latest two releases or so). So everybody can just corner him and kill him again, to get 1500 gold and (usually) either Blizzard, Volcano or Lightning Storm.

These are the two biggest exploits in the game, and I find it shameful how you consider #2 'not so bad'. Please do research on how many exploits there actually are before claiming you know everything about them.

And next to that, this topic is still about character deletion, and not serverside-character deletion.

Edit: And here are a few arguements why we should have the 'sickening' character reset. Full reset, remember?
1) The exploits. There are much more exploits in this game than you know, and while some of them aren't really bad, some of them are quite massive indeed, and you can damn well count on it there are people who have abused (a great number of) them to the biggest extent. Of course there are going to be exploits in MS: C, but you can believe me when I say there are going to be way and way less.
2) The developers mentioned something about a character reset being easier because they made some changes to the character files. I can imagine they did, seeing as how some magic elements don't give you XP.
3) The majority of the community wants a reset.
4) It's quite fun to start all over. Nowadays most of the 'veterans' spit on the thornlands because it's too easy. Remember the first day in MS: C when you got one-hit-owned by a skeleton? That was seriously fun. Just re-live it.
5) Due to some balancing issues (which are probably going to be fixed) people were running around with the strongest weapons after a few days. I found a perfect Skullblade in Olof's chest the second day I played.
6) We're gonna have a character reset sooner or later. Think about future versions, where new races might be implemented (Dwarves and Elves). This will require changes to the character data file, making the older (current) versions incompatible. So (this might sound harsh) you can get used to character resets by having one now.

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Im sorry, I don't find it fun to waste hours and hours of my time. If I want to reset my character to restart and have fun, I can do that anytime I want. Those two bugs are probably easily fixable, so they should fix them asap and move on with life. I don't consider a character reset necessary unless there is some way for an ABSURD amount of money to be made very very easily (although, money practically grows on trees in msc), or boosting your skills way higher than they should go. I am not dismissing those bugs but neither are THAT bad. I still consider the helena bug to be much worse than both. It's the peoples fault who used the bugs. I was never a believer in punishing the whole because of a few rotten eggs. Thankyou for your post and mentioning bugs that weren't to my direct attention, as I have never seen either in the posts I have read. I would still rather have a character reset later when i've seen all there is to see and do all there is to do, rather than now when ive gotten so far and there are only a few bugs hampering the rest of the game (deralia, sfor chest, etc).

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Why do you play this game if playing it is HARD WORK and a complete waste of time? And oh yea the bad, mean, evil devs want to PUNISH us? Cmon grow up a bit they will do it to bring major improvments to MS:C and to keep if fair so those exploiting players don't own every fair players and personnaly, I'm soooo bored when my char is too strong so I start all over with a new char, that's the most fun part! so if you don't enjoy playing, just don't play.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
vertthrasher said:
Im sorry, I don't find it fun to waste hours and hours of my time.
Understandable. However, if you consider playing MS: C (to level a new character) a waste of your time, you really shouldn't play.

vertthrasher said:
If I want to reset my character to restart and have fun, I can do that anytime I want.
Everybody can. Not to annoy you, but we're talking about a massive, full-scale, total reset.

vertthrasher said:
Those two bugs are probably easily fixable, so they should fix them asap and move on with life.
I'm quite sure these exploits will be fixed in v1.01, but for most people who enjoy fair competition, 'moving on with life' isn't that easy. If these bugs get fixed and we don't have a character wipe, there will still be people who got three of the best magic scrolls in the game, while others will now have to spend way more time to get them.

vertthrasher said:
I don't consider a character reset necessary unless there is some way for an ABSURD amount of money to be made very very easily (although, money practically grows on trees in msc), or boosting your skills way higher than they should go.
You are aware of the Helena bug, but next to that, players can also find easy ways to gain XP and items (due to some exploits), both of which are just as important in MS: C. Next to that, boosting your skills way higher than they should go would be considered 'hacking' in MS: C.

vertthrasher said:
I am not dismissing those bugs but neither are THAT bad. I still consider the helena bug to be much worse than both.
Then what does three million gold mean for a five-HP noob? These bugs are pretty bad indeed, and the AI-bug is definately the worst in the game because it can happen anytime and you can get tons of free XP when it happens.

vertthrasher said:
It's the peoples fault who used the bugs. I was never a believer in punishing the whole because of a few rotten eggs.
Yes, some people (indirectly) screw others by using these exploits deliberately, and even though I'm not for global 'punishment' myself too, it's the only way, since there's no way to filter the exploiters out from the legal players.

vertthrasher said:
Thankyou for your post and mentioning bugs that weren't to my direct attention, as I have never seen either in the posts I have read.
No problem. Just take note that there are even more than I mentioned, I just mentioned the two worst ones (the Helena bug would be #3).

vertthrasher said:
I would still rather have a character reset later when i've seen all there is to see and do all there is to do, rather than now when ive gotten so far and there are only a few bugs hampering the rest of the game (deralia, sfor chest, etc).
I can (try to) make you happy with the fact there's no set date on v1.01 yet :wink:

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
And like I said in a previous post, you can hold off updating. Do everything you possibly can with your high leveled character, and update when you are ready. No one is forcing the update as soon as it is released like they do in MMORPGs

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I just want to say again that the character reset does not entirely have to do with the exploits. We also have to fix actual character stat problems, and the only way to do that is with a character wipe.

And vertthrasher, don't start anymore crap in here.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Because before it was more because of the exploits, but now we've also realized there are some other issues with the game.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
vertthrasher said:
Im sorry, I don't find it fun to waste hours and hours of my time.
Understandable. However, if you consider playing MS: C (to level a new character) a waste of your time, you really shouldn't play.

wow JM...are you 5 years old?

Its a waste of time when what you worked on disapears...I shit you not.
Hes not saying playing is a waste of time, hes saying playing for no reason is.
Were all allowed to have our own views and everyone (probobly me too) is getting all offensive.

but J.M, about every single god damn post ive seen of yours, was of you kissing the devs ass [thats fine..], but your posts dont help anyone because all your doing is pissing everyone off with your childish mini insults...and yet the devs are asking vert to stfu. :roll:

Great community!

As for char deletion, it is obviously understandable if the character reset has completely nothing to do with exploits anymore. And, Can a moderator delete this post, and sticky something explaining how the characters are going to be deleted, and the reason already given so there is an understanding? :idea:

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
OK d00d...

Playing games in general is a complete waste of time being it has no impact on the world, the point of playing games is to have fun, and it shouldn't be "work". Therefore, if you see it as "work" you shouldn't play, because that goes against the whole reasons games exist.

I am pretty sure JM is about 19, not 5 (correct me if I am wrong JM)

None of his posts are kiss-ass. He gives compliments when compliments are due, but even then I have seen maybe two or three from him. Just because he agrees with the devs doesn't mean he is sucking up. (He is actually finding bugs and reporting them, where an asskisser would ignore them and pretend everything is perfect) He isn't pissing "everyone" off with his insults either, he is only (as it appears to me) pissing you off. Vert didn't even seem "pissed off" at JM. Just because he was arguing, doesn't mean he was immature enough to be e-nnoyed. If you see yourself as being "everyone", well that is a childish mentality, ask any psychologist.

And vertthrasher, don't start anymore crap in here.
That also applies to everyone, which includes you (as you have made clear, see above statement)

And, Can a moderator delete this post, and sticky something explaining how the characters are going to be deleted, and the reason already given so there is an understanding?

I actually agree with you here, this thread has lost meaning and is devolving into a flamefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.