FireWalls and Routers, yipeee!!

Raven

New Adventurer
Reaction score
uhm, i have a dynamic IP and a router, and of course i gets the black screeny of death, is there any way to fix this? or am i just screwed?

Deathblower

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Go in your rooter's configuration page (look in the rooter's manual to find out how to access it) and check the "static ip" button an then reset. Then go to whatismyip.com and enter what they said on this website in the ms_ip command

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
For the router you'll just need to look in the manual to find the ports. (If you have a linksys router http://192.168.1.1 No username, password admin)

And you can forward the ports there, as for the dynamic IP.

-These are for MS

-This is for HL

27005-27025

http://www.dyndns.org - You can have it forward a name to your IP, makes it easy for others to join. <name>.mine.nu it's also free. They should have some auto-update utilities. I'd only recommend it if you intend on hosting a lot, because it isn't that hard to find a server. Seeing as you won't see more than one up.

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Do NOT change it to static IP, you could really mess up your internet. Just go to whatsmyip.com every time you want to host and get that ip.

Raven

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i could do what fuzzy said or just....

whatsmyip.com

ms_ip XXXXXXXXX <- ip

inside of listenserver.cfg

then run it?

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Raven said:
uhm, i have a dynamic IP and a router, and of course i gets the black screeny of death, is there any way to fix this? or am i just screwed?
or just dissconnect the router and plug it in directly lol

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:54 am

ok you really should look at the dates of posted things, and no, if you disconnect it from the router and plug it in directly, it wont work. Probably because he has cable, and you dont exactly have a freakin cable port in the back, you have an ethernet port, not cable, so no pluggy

Deathblower

New Adventurer
Reaction score
HomestarR said:
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:54 am

ok you really should look at the dates of posted things, and no, if you disconnect it from the router and plug it in directly, it wont work. Probably because he has cable, and you dont exactly have a freakin cable port in the back, you have an ethernet port, not cable, so no pluggy

if he has cable he also have a modem for it with the ethernet port, it works

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Exactly HOW do you forward the ports??