How big IS daragoth?!

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'd like to know about how big daragoth is, what areas are in it...etc... i know that the current MSC map doesn't exactly follow the original MS plotline, so it would be much appreciated if lanethan could give a big speech on the different areas in daragoth, perhaps with a large map of some sort :)

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
I'd like to know about how big daragoth is, what areas are in it...etc... i know that the current MSC map doesn't exactly follow the original MS plotline, so it would be much appreciated if lanethan could give a big speech on the different areas in daragoth, perhaps with a large map of some sort :)

daragoth_map.jpg

???

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
We're in the bottom right quarter of the map.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
thats more of a stylized sketch, like something an adventurer had made...

what i'd like is a decently proportioned colored-ish map, perhaps with boxes around areas which are numbered and described down below it. could help alot with map themes and how things should look in certain areas...how transitions should be...etc...

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yes please. I want to see continents and such

zEdge3

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
i wanna see it too, cept with lots of trees and forests and mountains and sasquatch

a yeti too....maybe even chewbacca will make his first appearnce

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Daragoth is the largest of the the continents...but from what i understand of that map, its not very big at all...and the other two continents are teeny-tiny... i'd expand the world...

and if you can't come up with layout ideas - google "dwarf fortress", might help a bit.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
beta_worldmap3_full.gif

This (Thothie's MS:C world map) was developed with my input in many areas. I consider it pretty much complete, as far as Daragoth is concerned, but of course there are areas that could be greatly increased in complexity / added dungeons and the like.

The continent of Daragoth is one of three large landmasses that have been documented on the world of Leann. The other two are Dreadwind (to the southwest) and Valan (to the southeast). These are not the only landmasses on Leann: among a few other tales of other lands, there are rumors of a massive continent that dwarfs the three known isles far to the east, where strange and exotic peoples live, who battle with snake-like creatures featuring many heads. None but the most powerful of wizards has ever created portals there and come back to tell the tale.

Daragoth itself has quite a few distinct regions: The southeast, mountainous area (Edana lies here), the Eastern plainlands (Deralia lies there), the frozen north (The Bleak, Frozen Tear), the great central forests (Kray Eldorad lies here), the desolation of the northwest (Malgoriand's castle, Hunderswamp), and the blazing deserts of the southwest (Aluhandra).

Valen's climate could be described as similar to the southeast mountains of Daragoth, but temperature ranges are less extreme as it is closer to the equator.

Dreadwind used to be a lush jungle isle, but since Lor Malgoriand's coming it has been transformed into a deadly volcanic wasteland, with sparse pockets of liveable space. In the original design documentation, Lor Malgoriand's castle rested here, but it has since been moved to the northwest desolation, a perfectly reasonable decision for MS:C, and one that might be worthwhile to conform to in designing MS:S.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
alright, i guess since you are going with thothie now (while ago you said that MSC's new areas were not really the daragoth you envisioned...i'd be able to try my hand at source maps (AFTER my map series for MSC is complete, along with bloodrose of course)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, I did some back and forth with Lanethan when I put that map together, I'm trying to conform to his basic world concept, insomuch is as possible with all the additions. Think I mentioned in the beta discussion thread, I maybe should move The Lor Malgoriand's castle towards the western deserts... I just kinda like the idea that the world gets colder the closer you get to his castle, as well as how powerful he becomes (with the nightmare series). ;)

Hey Lanethan, this Dreadwind stuff with Little G and his Bludgeon fetish, tribes, etc - how much of that is your mythology? If any?

Meh, been trying to save myself time by avoiding the source section, but I can't get Steam started ATM, so dun matter much I suppose.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Bludgeons were never included in any of my design, so as far as I'm concerned they're outside the realm of what I would consider canon. However, I also don't really have a problem with it... except that there really were only supposed to be three Enlightened races, one for each of the Loreldians.
Ways that it's deviating from my design:

Dreadwind was originally scoped to be the "Endgame" content. In the original design, access to Dreadwind was only given by an Apostle, who would, through a dynamic quest, enlist the help of a group of players to tackle a serious threat arrising on the continent and teleport them. Originally a linear series of 5 maps ending with a climactic battle against Lor Malgoriand himself, the reward for which is a legendary weapon for every character involved, an undroppable/unlootable item, tailored to the character's favorite weapon type. The character deemed most deserving by the group and the Apostle would be given the Atlas (Master sword).

So, no, Dreadwind won't be conforming to my design. ;)

Valen's designs are almost completely Era of Legends related (EoL was set to take place there), but are also nearly 500 years later than the current MS timeline so I don't think they would be as appropriate to consider. The only thing that was definitely supposed to go on Valen is the port city of Adel, and the Adellar desert to the southeast.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
So what happened to the dynamic quest ideas.... I still miss the old loot option that used to exist with a Rogue class :(

It was FUN while it lasted like that... too bad people like asdas had to PO you devs... also too bad the entirety of the looting system couldn't have been nerfed like a bad amxx_plugin for NS...

Well, I'm sure if you devs had had a central server setup like there is now, it would've been much easier back then... you could've collected steamIDs & deleted characters that had illegal items :(

BioRage

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Kuroneko said:
evilsquirrel said:

daragoth_map.jpg

???

LOL

Funny.

zEdge3

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i wanna see a monster that turns into a skeleton when it dies (not like re-animated bones) but when it dies the model is converted to a skeleton and not to rise again

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
uh...might be possible to make something cool like that in source,

have like...a sped-up timescale for deaths or somesuch, so the flesh rots away and the bones crumble to dust within like 30-60 seconds of the critter dying

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
LIKE IN WOW?!?!

[/Acting like everyone who refers to ideas by the games they're from.]