Linux

Killerplautze

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Half-Life has finally been released on Linux, still as a beta, but it has been realesed! So I looked around for the good old Half-Life mods and of course took a look at Mastersword. And I am amazed that Thothie is still working on it and a new Patch is online! :)

Now I am not sure if mods also work on Linux so I searched the web a bit and found this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/co ... _on_steam/

I will try it later when I get home, but has anyone already tried installing Mastersword on Linux yet?
Does it work? Are there some missing dlls?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmmm... It depends on how many of the Windows functions they emulated to ensure broad compatibility... MSC uses some Windows functions for file writes and OpenGL... So...

It's been possible to host, but not run, Half-Life (goldsrc) games on Linux for ages, but we never managed to find anyone who could build a proper .SO from the ms.dll code source.

If it doesn't launch straight off, I'd suggest disabling some of the advanced GL features in the config.cfg, that maybe dependent on external DLL libraries, including:
ms_bloom_level 0 //disable bloom system (dependant on GL extensions)
ms_hidehud 1 //hides the overlay icons that are actually weird GL renders
ms_reflect 0 //disable reflection system
ms_status_icons 0 //same system the overlay icons use

Can't promise anything though.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
if you own a copy of half-life already and you load up steam on linux does it carry over like i own hl for linux or would i have to buy it all over again?

Killerplautze

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ceriux said:
if you own a copy of half-life already and you load up steam on linux does it carry over like i own hl for linux or would i have to buy it all over again?
It carrys over...

I installed it and it opens to the starting screen. I can't add a server though and creating one doesn't work either. I already changed the things in the config, didn't work either.

This is what I get, when I tried to create a server:
Using breakpad crash handler
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 70
Forcing breakpad minidump interfaces to load
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197960513280 [API loaded yes]
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Setting Steam ID: 76561197960513280
ARB Multitexture extensions found.

4 texture units. Detail texture supported.

[0203/151501:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(411)] Failed to load /home/schasi/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/cef_gtk.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0203/151501:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "resource/ms_english.txt".
Platform config directory: platform/config
0:Initializing platform...
warning: Unknown nb_ctl request: 4
Server module initialized.

World module initialized.

STEAM Auth Server

AppActive: active
AppActive: active
Usage:
Setmaster unavailable, start a server first.

NET Ports: server 27015, client 27005

Server IP address 127.0.1.1:27015

Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from ���~���4�!

Usage:
Setmaster unavailable, start a server first.

scandir failed:/home/PC/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/./valve_hd/SAVE
scandir failed:/home/PC/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/./valve/SAVE
scandir failed:/home/PC/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/./platform/SAVE
scandir failed:/home/PC/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half-Life/platform/config/SAVE
Uploading dump (in-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20130203151513_1.dmp
success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-cc6f3955-4346-4666-b642-bdb2d2130203
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well speicherzugriffsfehler my speicherabzug, ain't got no clue from that mess... Beyond a Segmentation Fault... Possibly missing materials, missing network mode... But ���~���4� if I know... :(

Did it make/update any files in the MSC directory? (like log_msdll.log or log_cldll.log)?

Killerplautze

New Adventurer
Reaction score
No logs... creating a server still doesn't work, but for some reason I can add servers now.
I joined one, but the screen was black. The sound was working and everything... so were getting close :)
Any ideas?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No... Although it does sound kinda like as far as I managed to get when working with Xash...

If it's getting that far, and *still* not providing any log files - you maybe boned - as that suggests they aren't emulating the Windows file read/writes... Probably would mean they aren't emulating Windows WinSock either... MSC needs both of those.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i think i just read on moddb that sven coop actually made a server binary for linux specifically.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think that's just the standard server-side .so thing. Most major Goldsrc mods had Linux server capability (hell, even Wizard Wars) - we're one of the few that never picked it up. But playing Goldsrc games on a Linux client, that's kind of a new beast.