My computer. It died.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It's Wolfenstein3D! It has taken over your computer!

(Note: Yes. My brother did get his old computer diagnosed with this problem.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Free floating bits of viruses are harmless without something to load them. They aren't like human virsuses, the data has no life of its own, it must be executed by the system, and the system won't read anything that isn't in the FAT or MBR unless specifically told to do so by a virus that is already in it. The MBR was the last haven to load viruses automagically before XP was released, and started cleaning it on install, so even a quick format renders you virus free. (Although it may not fix what a Virus did to your CMOS - but neither will a low level format)

I figure whatever the hard drive had on it before is still effecting it even after a clean install.
I *think* he's saying he's fine until he installs the new chipset drivers. Which just means, format, and don't install the new chipset drivers. :p If he can get beyond the RAID issue so he can actually reinstall.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I know its not actually possible for free floating bits to hijack your system but I have done it a few times to peoples computers and every time they tell me "my computer is running like its brand new!" so regardless of what it does the results are normally positive.

Besides when a computer starts to fail any avenue that offers a chance to bring it back from the dead is one worth taking. Well... except for a ritual sacrifice, that might to much to resurrect a computer... just think of all that blood.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
NVIDIA RAID IDE ROM BIOS 4.84
COPYRIGHT (C) 2004 NVIDIA CORP.

Detecting array ....

SiI 3114 SATARaid BIOS Version 5.1.39
Copyright (C)1997-2004 Silicon Image, Inc.

Press <CTRL+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility.

that's the raid message that appears...unfortunately, i CAN'T even enter the RAID utility because my keyboard stops working...and that comes up directly after the screen where you would hit Delete to go into your BIOS/CMOS settings and such. (and the keyboard works at that point...)

any ideas on this?

i can't even boot from a CD without deactivating/working around this somehow

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Get a bucket of water and set it in front of the computer to show it who's boss.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
try unplugging the keyboard and replugging it in when it stops responding, my shuttle requires that... not sure why.

besides that... I am at a loss, I work better with the issue in front of me anyway.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Or try a PS/2 keyboard instead of yer USB

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I know its not actually possible for free floating bits to hijack your system but I have done it a few times to peoples computers and every time they tell me "my computer is running like its brand new!" so regardless of what it does the results are normally positive.
Well, unlike a quick format, it does have the advantage that it defrags the hard drive. ;)

NVIDIA RAID IDE ROM BIOS 4.84
COPYRIGHT (C) 2004 NVIDIA CORP.

Detecting array ....

SiI 3114 SATARaid BIOS Version 5.1.39
Copyright (C)1997-2004 Silicon Image, Inc.

Press <CTRL+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility.
Assuming this is before windows loads (ie. CMOS screen), you need a PS/2 keyboard, or a USB->PS/2 adapter for your current.

However, this whole system usually can be disabled from inside the CMOS, and you won't get the screen at all.

nForce board I take it? Ya know what kind? Maybe I can look up the exact location.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i'll go grab a PS/2 keyboard...

as for what kind it is...

K8 Triton
nForce 4 SLI series
PCI-Express/Dual Channel DDR400 motherboard

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
CMOS (hold del on boot)

Integrated Peripherals ->
NV IDE/SATA RAID function -> disable

(If you don't see the option there hit CTRL-F1 to enable advanced settings)

It is likely it got turned on when you flashed your BIOS. (All sorts of things get turned on when you flash them [/inuendo]) - it tends to reset everything to default, which usually isn't right.

If the bugger has an internal sound card you are not using (as it seems to have one) and the like, you might want to go through and make sure all those sorts of things are off too.

You also have an Legacy USB Keyboard/Storage switch on the second page of Integrated Peripherals that would likely fix your keyboard issue, but prob best just to disable the Raid BIOS.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
will do that stuff to get things like that back to normal...but ah...

i used a PS/2 keyboard, and it works as a workaround for this problem. i was able to format the hard drive, but unfortunately - its getting the same problem just after i install the drivers that came with that motherboard...will try installing them individually after a format to see which one(s) is/are responsible...probably just leave it out for a while - better than my computer not working at all =\

(i'll prolly leave it like that till my brother comes home - he works with/fixes computers aswell)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Heading out... But I'll say real quick, install the motherboard Chipset drivers last. Those are the only ones liable to fux with so many things you can't remove them. The sound/graphic drivers are liable to be easier to roll back.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I still say low level format if you haven't tried it yet.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hmm...

it works up until installing those drivers, though =\

not seeing how a low-level format would help that...

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
and you underestimate the random factor :wink:

besides a good ole zero fill of a hard drive could do it some good, I know its saved more than one hard drive for me. Heck its saved my whole computer, had the same issues your having. I would reinstall windows things looked fine but after I got all the drivers installed it would do odd things, be it mine didn't just lock up. However it did act very sluggish and was in general not running to the same level as before.

besides what kind of error would you prefer a hard disk one or a motherboard one?