Yeah... for some reason all the servers I create only show up on the LAN list

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Behold the massive list of ports to open and tremble in helpless terror:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1824 (Step 5 - Firewalls and Routers)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Damn. That entire, very useful guide brought down by a typo. Stupid internet.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*squints* Hrmm... There's some overlap between the required TCP and UDP ports, but some routers require you to open those separately, and others won't allow you to overlap them, so I figure it's good to keep them both up there as such.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if what block my servers is the firewall or my router?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You've suddenly gone ESL on me... But...

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/ - works for some routers but not others. On some routers, if it times out, rather than having the connection refused, it means the port is open. On others it'll work more directly. But on many routers, all ports will appear closed unless there is an active TCP program ready to receive the request. (HLDS usually won't cut it.)

You can use, at the command prompt:
netstat -a
When the HLDS is open, but that'll only tell you if it's trying on your side.

I've not found a more reliable way to check that doesn't involve software, but there must be one out there...

Fairly reliable software solution that I've used in the past:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/887 ... -in-VB-NET
...But you have to sign up to download it... And I don't seem to have my copy on hand.

(Also, more game oriented one that I've not tried: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/806 ... er-Scanner )

I may research a bit more when I get back, as a reliable on-line port scanner that worked across more routers would be handy for me. There's probably a useful tool linked somewhere at Shields up, but I gotta head out just now.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just let me clarify i dont plan hosting HLDS, just casual listenserver

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... That's another beast, and a temperamental one at that. Ya'd think, since the Steam layer is running and all, they'd just handle it through that (HLDS is rather infamous about complaining about the non-existent Steam service not running).... But nooo... That'd just be too logical. What it does do, however, is set your master server by your Steam setting, instead of your IP.

So... What I'd try first, is fiddling with the master server setting. (Steam->Settings->Downloads+Cloud->Downloads Region). You'll have to check this periodically, as Steam keeps adding new master servers, and this messes up the indexing, because as I already inferred, Steam is retarded (just now I noticed, for instance, I've been redirected from LA to France). Even if your Master Server is set to the right locale, some of these servers are maintained better than others, and some are also busier than others - so if it's still fuxing with you, try the next one over (I often switch between LA, Seattle, Denver, and Texas, for instance). Note that this requires a restart of Steam. This crap also prevents you from seeing servers in Asia, Australia, and Latin America, unless you switch to those locales - and even then - it's iffy - as it'll give up on funky tracerts.

There's also the usual issues that can cause just you not to see your server. Clientregistry.blob and Serverbrowser.vdf. Delete, re-download, rinse and repeat as required.

And yadda:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... _faqid=163

There's also the setmaster and heartbeat functions, but I'm really not entirely sure if either of these commands actually does anything anymore. Seem to have mixed opinions about it, and never had them resolve anything myself.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
FER said:
Yeah... for some reason all the servers I create only show up on the LAN list

for some reason the ports that thothie has on his tutorial dont work for me :(

I use:
2700-27015
27020-27039

open both protocols, btw these are based of TF2 but they work for me. meh if you dont care about security dmz lol

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think my server's working, but despite having the same router and ports open last time I was using it, it doesn't seem to be registering on the Steam Browser anymore. :\

On the plus side, I finally found what appears to be a reliable proggie for making sure your ports are open (been using it for other things for awhile, has worked on every network I've stuck it on so far):
http://portforward.com/store/back296/PF ... 1.0.39.exe

Beware the usual Askme toolbar adware bugger though (second option, uncheck all).