Problem in mapping for MSC

OverKill1376

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi, so I've been trying to make a map for MSC and see if I can make it good enough to be considered for the mod.
Anyway, I've made the map's general structure, I've placed ms_player_spawn and ms_player_begin and the map compiles perfectly (when I say map compiles perfectly, I mean that there are no leaks and no errors and the map compiles).
But whenever I try to launch the map, my game crashes. 2 of the loading bars get filled and then my game crashes with no error messages or anything.

I am using ZHLT 34.
I am only using MSC's texture wads.
I DO have lights in my map.
There are NO npcs or anything, just the map itself and the player spawn and begins and a ms_player_spec (greatguys1 suggested I try putting one in the map and trying it)

What seems to be my problem? I'm new to MSC mapping btw.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
With no errors, it'd be hard to tell - though do check the log files (log_msdll.log/log_cldll.log).

If those don't help, I'd need a link to the source.

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
OverKill1376 said:

How many wads are you using? The use of too many wads may result in that map crashing you described. Try to use just a few handpicked ones instead of the whole bunch of wads the msc-folder has to offer.
Using just the allinone.wad-file (and just a few more if necessary) might help with your issue.

OverKill1376

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
With no errors, it'd be hard to tell - though do check the log files (log_msdll.log/log_cldll.log).

If those don't help, I'd need a link to the source.

Ah! Thank you! I didn't know about that log. I checked it and it said that the jm_prefab_factory's was not found (I had it in my configurations but didn't use it). I removed that from hammer and it's fixed and running! Thank you very much!.

OverKill1376

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hush said:
OverKill1376 said:

How many wads are you using? The use of too many wads may result in that map crashing you described. Try to use just a few handpicked ones instead of the whole bunch of wads the msc-folder has to offer.
Using just the allinone.wad-file (and just a few more if necessary) might help with your issue.

Thanks for the tip man. Though I had learned that before. Luckily not the hard way.
I tried using only 2 wads. But now that you mention it, where can I get the allinone.wad? It's not in the game directory.
Also if I use that, will the game work? Because I don't think the game would run unless the wad file is in the directory, and I don't see it anywhere.

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
OverKill1376 said:
But now that you mention it, where can I get the allinone.wad? It's not in the game directory.
Also if I use that, will the game work? Because I don't think the game would run unless the wad file is in the directory, and I don't see it anywhere.

This should do it. But i am not sure, if this is the most recent one.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Should be, couldn't squeeze anymore textures into it. (Seems we gotta have a link to that thing that isn't in NML though...)

You should compile with -nowadtextures -wadautodetect on the hlcsg line. That way the textures are integrated into the BSP, and you don't need the wads to run it. Also, your textures are less likely to go fubar if the names match up with the previously loaded map, and it won't matter if one of the wads it uses is modified.

Too many wads loaded shouldn't cause the map to crash - but it will cause Hammer to crash, and it's hard to get back afterwards. You actually have to hunt the registry for the wad files and remove them from the Hammer config there, before you can run it again.