Revamped the bat

andy-held

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi,
I just altered the mesh and the texture of the bat a bit.
Tell me if u like it.

Edit: seems I can't upoad the mdl file here, if anyone wants it, tell me...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
(Squints)... I canna see the difference... Last time someone tried to reskin the bats, they failed to palette properly, so the transparent bits of the wings went solid - although I think maybe that's only a possibility with the giant bat.

Much like the rats, however, the bats could really use an all new model.

andy-held

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Here's a before picture.

@Thoothie
Thought so too. The head of the bat is uneccessary blocky. But since I only have a trial version of Milkshape and can't manage importing mdl files into blender, I wanted to start with something small.
However there is a quite good model of a bat in animals/bat.mdl perhaps that one could be reused...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, the ones there aren't much better - plus they'd have to be re-animated... I think in this one's case, maybe the brighter eyes emphasize the model's blocky shape, so I dunno if it be a good idear.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I personally think andies is better than the original. However, the fact that it would need to be reanimated is rather burdensome. Thank you, though, andy, for contributing to this community. Your efforts do not go unnoticed, at least not by me, and I encourage you to continue to focus your efforts towards MSC.

andy-held

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It would only need to be reanimated if we took the model from animals/bat the reskinning/little mesh update fits the old animation.

andy-held

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, i reskinned the bats back, too.
Before:

After:

Also I corrected the unwrapping of the texture so that the eyes are now on the same height:

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Those are some good "before and afters." I think its a lot better with the new updates. Does the same go when it's in-game?

And animations are not hard at all, even when trying to figure it out for yourself. Only thing that keeps me is motive.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
sometime ago somebody submitted some realistic reskins for the normal and giant bat.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
At your own risk, try this bat model out (replace the existing model in your MSC folder):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/bat.rar

Might be wise to back up the old one (msc/models/monsters/bat.mdl) first.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Why don't we just use this one? It looks amazing, and it beats the hell out of the gravity defying pole with wings.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Consider it an open beta. ;) Just wanted to make sure the model had no issues with the current script.