Spells affected by area/weather

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Short suggestion, but I think that spells like Blizzard and Fireball should become more powerful or weaker based on the weather/map type. For instance, if it's snowing, Blizzard is more powerful and Fireball is weaker.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Would be pretty nice... I think it could make MSC rather CPU intensive with the sketched ideas at going about this I've come up with, but it sounds nice nonetheless...

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Would be pretty nice... I think it could make MSC rather CPU intensive with the sketched ideas at going about this I've come up with, but it sounds nice nonetheless...

wouldnt it just be a quick check?

have a brush/entity that sets what 'element' your in, and when you cast/get hit (depending on how you want to do it) it does a check to see if your 'touching'/'in' a certain element and do the adjustments to damage.

I dont think that would be too intensive at all now would it?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If nublets had to wait for rain or raining balls of fire or something every time they wanted a boost in their SC damage, they'd have to put up with a lot more CPU usage... now wouldn't they :D

Since the idea here is to have the weather effect spells.

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Weather and are. Desert = Fire boost, too.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
If nublets had to wait for rain or raining balls of fire or something every time they wanted a boost in their SC damage, they'd have to put up with a lot more CPU usage... now wouldn't they :D

Since the idea here is to have the weather effect spells.

as MiB said (i think) Spells affected by weather and area, and i dont think too many ppl would be just sitting around waiting for a storm to get a small bonus to dmg. I could see for big battles or Boss fights, but not for just normal fights.

I think it could make MSC rather CPU intensive with the sketched ideas at going about this I've come up with
You made it sound like calculating the element was CPU intensive, not just the weather in general + using spells. sorry if i misunderstood.

Desert = Fire boost, too.
Well I'd assume that they would have areas/boosts for all/most elements in the game, ie:

Lava / Hot = Fire Dmg
Frozen / Cold = Ice Dmg
Coast / Wet = Water Dmg
Plains / Plateau = Air / Lightning Dmg
Jungle / Forest = Earth Dmg
..etc..

• Admin

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just pointing that out for Net.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Drigien, I was talking about the special effects.

Are you telling me there isn't going to be rain to represent a storm that involves rain in source?!! :oldshock:

Some people who play this mod don't have too great a setup for a computer, especially when it involves the Source engine.

My crappy, old, yet so very trustworthy GeForce FX5200, PCI of course, can handle things like DoD:S just fine on all high settings, so long as I keep anti-aliasing off and HDR off.

Sadly, there I am sure some underground players of MSC (meaning non-forums posting players) have even crappier cards than myself... guaranteeing that they'll have to upgrade for MS:S (should it have the special effects during a certain weather pattern, like I am hoping it will).

Littlefrodo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Why

I dont like that Idea becuase i dont really understans why a Fireball should be weaker when its snowing does the snow cool it down. I dont like those details :oldshock:

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: Why

Littlefrodo said:
I dont like that Idea becuase i dont really understans why a Fireball should be weaker when its snowing does the snow cool it down. I dont like those details :oldshock:

I don't like it either... I mean the ice element monsters in the snowy climates are gonna either have resistance or weakness to fire.... isn't that enough?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
You'd think a fireball'd do MORE damage in a snowy environment against snowy creatures.... and vice-versa for icebolt in an icy place...

On that note, I think Ice Magic could use some upped power... fire has firedart, AND BALL, THEN SOME WALL!! Ice have bolt & wall, and bolt can suck my balls for all I care it attacks so slowly & does such pathetic damage, with NO area of effect.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well, a BLIZZARD spell (Yes Netrogor, you left blizzard out of your ice spells, which is odd considering it's ice's equivalent of fire ball) would have a hard time in a warm enviroment because it warms as it goes, right? Well thermodynamics work more than one way.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
netrogor...go play the game before you comment, kthxbai.

just so everyone else who might listen to what net says doesn't thing ice is underpowered...theres this thing called BLIZZARD, which has a much larger AoE than fireball, and higher damage, along with slowing your oponents.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Heheh evil, haven't I been playing MS in general longer than you even? I go to Day #1 with MS1.0, and before that silently skimming the forums waiting for the release...

And I thought Blizzard was more like Lightning Storm, in the sense of a cloud thingie in the sky & a weird twist of nature as a power....

When I think frostbolt and firedart or even fireball, I'm thinking a BALL of the stuff that hits the enemy, not something like Blizzard where it rains down from above :oldlol:

Nublets, go play the game before you comment on it; maybe then you'll see the difference.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
netrogor - you playing from "day 1 of ms 1.0" makes no difference in this matter since magic was only introduced in 1.4 (or, MSC).

as for the "difference" between the spells....WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER IF ONE IS A BALL AND ONE MAKES IT SNOW?!!?

they both do area damage, blizzard effects more area on its impact damage - the damage is also higher than fireball - and then it keeps going with cold damage roughly 5 times with higher damage than fireball AGAIN.

thus, this statement -

Netrogor said:
On that note, I think Ice Magic could use some upped power... fire has firedart, AND BALL, THEN SOME WALL!! Ice have bolt & wall, and bolt can suck my balls for all I care it attacks so slowly & does such pathetic damage, with NO area of effect.

is completely wrong.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm sure the weather affecting gameplay would cause more of an annoyance than an any sort of game enjoyment.

Weather is not necessarily needed at all, it sucks up fps, and it only helps immerse the player in the game environment.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor also forgetting that Blizzard comes out of your hands as a BALL. You know when Squirrel joins the fight that someone is being REALLY stupid :D

Mario - Weather also makes the game more realistic. It's also a helluva lot less boring than constant day :roll:

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Actually, Blizzard and Lightning Storm work exactly like fireball, they are not like Keledross' version save the fx which are just for show.
LS's ball is invisible, but both do AoE impact, then DoT. Ever notice how enemies that walk into the fx area are not frozen/shocked? It's because it works like a fireball, with the FX just there for looks. It's like this because Keledross' version crashes when it hits breakables.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, Mario. You missed the part where we gave a crap about your opinion in realism :roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
they both do area damage, blizzard effects more area on its impact damage - the damage is also higher than fireball - and then it keeps going with cold damage roughly 5 times with higher damage than fireball AGAIN

Really weird thing about that - my test character has both fire and ice at 40, and his Fire Ball is DEVISTATING compared to his Blizzard... But tis OT, just me ranting about the HL1 MSC unpredictability. Hopefully the Source version is less mysterious, since everything will be written up from scratch.

Actually, Blizzard and Lightning Storm work exactly like fireball, they are not like Keledross' version save the fx which are just for show.
LS's ball is invisible, but both do AoE impact, then DoT. Ever notice how enemies that walk into the fx area are not frozen/shocked? It's because it works like a fireball, with the FX just there for looks. It's like this because Keledross' version crashes when it hits breakables.

I hope to fix up Blizzard and Lightning storm to function more like the Keledros variant in the near future - although I can't use the exact same meathod due to the fact that the Keledros variant crashes the server if it touches a breakable, I maybe able to get the same effect.

All three (fireball/lstorm/blizzard) actually have the same radius though (256).

But again... Totally OT. :)

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Lightning storm is different from Fire ball and Blizzard, it's not a ball, it's instant hit.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
they both do area damage, blizzard effects more area on its impact damage - the damage is also higher than fireball - and then it keeps going with cold damage roughly 5 times with higher damage than fireball AGAIN

Really weird thing about that - my test character has both fire and ice at 40, and his Fire Ball is DEVISTATING compared to his Blizzard... But tis OT, just me ranting about the HL1 MSC unpredictability. Hopefully the Source version is less mysterious, since everything will be written up from scratch.

I hope to fix up Blizzard and Lightning storm to function more like the Keledros variant in the near future - although I can't use the exact same meathod due to the fact that the Keledros variant crashes the server if it touches a breakable, I maybe able to get the same effect.

All three (fireball/lstorm/blizzard) actually have the same radius though (256).

But again... Totally OT. :)

first rebuke, now this... o_O?

ima figure out them fraps programs and video record my 23 ice doing more damage than my 27 fire, and my level 21 divination doing really bad damage to everything.

Jelly said:
Lightning storm is different from Fire ball and Blizzard, it's not a ball, it's instant hit.

its probably a "ball" with no arc, a high speed, and no model. (you can test this by standing next to a wall and casting it on it...if it makes a bullethole - i'm wrong.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What he said - it is a ball, just a really fast invisible one with no arc.