Thornlands work

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Enhanced a few .vmt files and created and installed a better detail_prop system. Recompiled Thornlands.

-MEDIA BLACKOUT! Thanks to those of you who took the image for what it was, and nothing more. Due to some responses by those without wisdom or moral compass, I hereby join the media blackout circus.

Modulated the blending between grass and path using a modulate material. Then installed the new detail prop files. Worthy of a day's work, just wanted to get something new posted up here.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
How to properly release media for a mod
A step-by-step guide by J-M v2.5.5
  • Make sure that the computer you're using to make the screenshots can run the mod at the highest graphical settings
  • Provide people with a thumbnail they can click on
  • Add a logo somewhere on the screenshot, indicating which mod this is
  • Add a description below the logo of what we're seeing

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Next can you give us a step-by-step guide for driving away developers by being an asshole? I want to learn from the master.

In any case, well done on the map.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I've given this commentary before in the MS:S board and then it was also ignored.
If the MS:S team wants people to take MS:S seriously, they should release screenshots properly.

Examples:
The Hidden: Source
Black Mesa
Dystopia

But I guess me not commenting on how the map looks gave the impression that I was only trying to be blunt again.
While the brushwork is without a doubt very nice, I'm not too sure about the detail props. That grass looks awkward somehow. Can't really place my finger on it. It's too... vertical.
I'm also counting quite some duplicate tree models but I assume they're placeholders.
I'd also suggest disabling the HUD when making screenshots (as the HUD does not appear to be 100% functional).

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Being blunt and being an arse are two entirely different things. Constructive criticism can be easily recognized by the critic giving thoughtful details on how they believe the situation could be remedied.

And whatever happened to MiB being our resident meanie-face/grammar nazi? Kids must make you soft :wink:

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
PLEASE stop using sprites for the detail files, 3D models can be used as well. Source is hardly a demanding game anymore, there's simply no reason (aside from ignorance or lack of materials) to keep using ugly "stare at you" sprites. I remember Thornlands from the ModDB updates and I do like the map, good work.

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Boo!

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Let me say first this is not an official media release. The mod is currently in a "media blackout", and if you have any comments or complaints about it bring them to me.

BoX wanted to show off something he's working on, and honestly I'm fine with that. Naturally though, anything in this capacity is ultra WIP, behind the scenes, and just to get a little feedback on whatever is being worked on.

Vomika7

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
holy &$^% what's up BoX! been ahwile! nice to have you back!

personally id like to see more of this map you're making, moar plz <3

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Vomika7 said:
personally id like to see more of this map you're making, moar plz <3

Again, MS:S is not releasing any media at this time. The next official media release we make will be "significant". I hate to be vague, but I have my reasons for doing it this way, and I believe it will be better in the long run.

This shot is a little look at the man behind the curtain, and hopefully shows that we are indeed working. That will have to be enough for the time being.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
FUCK YO MEDIA BLACKOUT

GIVE ME MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

moar.jpg

Xentoes

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
Looks great! Keep up the good work.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Why don't I see a screenshot?

Because BoX is following my lead ;)
Don't worry, there will be media soon enough... Oh the media there will be!

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
thesupersoup said:
Don't worry, there will be media soon enough... Oh the media there will be!

Uh oh!
*Turns off minecraft*
*starts mapping"

I'll see what I can do about getting some nice screenshots of my map ready. Though I might need some textures before I can do that.

I'm currently at a stage where I'm just trying to hide some nodraws and look natural at the same time.