[WIP]Derwintwater

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
How about a larger-than-normal zombie called an Exhumer, which summons a variety of smaller zombies to kill you. The most basic variety would be the Exhumed Adventurer, which is just your regular expendable zombie. Then you have the Exhumed Rogue, who runs up at the speed of awesome to stun you and deal some nasty damage, before sprinting away again. There's also the Exhumed Gladiator, who shuffles slowly towards his target, but hits harder than a drunk meteorite. There's also the Exhumed Fencer, who is essentially a heavily armoured zombie who exists purely to draw your attention away from the other, weaker zombies.

As for casting animations, the Exhumer could do some sort of Scream of Death to resurrect his buddes. He doesn't have any other special abilities, apart from a fairly unimpressive melee attack. The Rogue would make use of the agile movement animations, and would be dressed in some sort of leather scraps, if there are any. The Gladiator would be dressed fairly lightly, and would be wielding the trident/duodent. The Fencer would be dressed in the spiky armor you mentioned, and would be wielding a MASSIVE AXE.

This idea is in no way reminiscent of Diablo 2. Nope. Not at all.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
chaotic good aligned drow ranger mummies
What campaign have you been playing, and why wasn't I there? :D

Is it possible to have one monster heal another?
That thar be an an idear - similar to how the bandit mage works - although hopefully less buggy.

[Zombie maker]
Eh, these ain't zombies - but I was thinking of having one that summoned skeletons... Getting monsters that dynamically summon is always a b*tch though. I've yet to figure a dependable way to make sure they don't stick themselves, their allies, players, or their own summons inside one another... It's easy, of course, if the mapper has a monster spawner the mummy just activates, but that's just not the same, and restricts the spawns to very specific locations.

J

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The mummies look awesome.

@Thothie: Just be sure to give at least some of them long range attacks, a la the bile zombie, so mappers can better avoid abuse (e.g. trapping the enemies in a pit and casting spells).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J said:
@Thothie: Just be sure to give at least some of them long range attacks, a la the bile zombie, so mappers can better avoid abuse (e.g. trapping the enemies in a pit and casting spells).
That.... Shouldn't happen on a high level map. These buggers are pretty mean, as Azian was lookin for a 30-40 map. Some will no doubt have projectiles, but not all.

I'll put up with monsters trapping themselves in pits on low level maps, maybe occasionally on mid level maps, but on a high end map, it'd get rejected for sploitiness.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Make 'em throw those spears, mayhaps? I'd get impaled by those any day, though that might somehow qualify as incest XD

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Make 'em throw those spears, mayhaps? I'd get impaled by those any day, though that might somehow qualify as incest XD
You wanna make a spear projectile while yer on that frost arrow?

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Oicwatudidther

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Update!

Solids: 99% Need to sex up the map some more.

Lighitng: 10% No idea what to do about lighting, never done any real lighting before. :oldcry:

Entities: 15% Some monsters in.

Texturing: 99% Need to align some textures and make the credits texture.

Map should be done pretty soon after scripts are done, then I can go into testing phase. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Scripts, coming, slowly...

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
No problem Thothie :wink: I don't know what steps are involved in scripting or how long it takes but I can wait

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
These are pretty elaborate scripts... Could be anywhere from a few days to a week or two... Do you need a boss for this map? Got anything you fancy as a boss chamber? ...Those guys always take the longest.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Oh wow I almost forgot! I already have a boss chamber but I'm going to make it bigger and better. I did plan to have a wizard boss from the story I had written for the map, but....I could always have like a mummy for a boss. Perhaps one of the unused ones just fitted with armor and gold stuff. Which ever one is easier really, I can always change up the story.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Double post, I got to test out the map in game! The death traps killed me at least 20 times or more and that actually started to piss me off. :evil: Anyways.....I realized that I missed a lot of stuff. I need to remake part of the spawn, expand quite a lot in some areas and other little fixes. Gotta get a boss for this too. :eek:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Script progress: Got the two harder mummies out of the way, more or less - moving onto the suggested healing evil cleric mummy. The basic warriors and the walk-up-and-beat-on you fodder types shouldn't prove any difficulty. Will try to get some more varieties afterwards, but once I have those, I'll send you a test package with em.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Sounds good Thothie.

@ J-M. The death traps are pretty good, I died quite a few times and I for pissed. :p

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well I pretty much mapped all day today. I spent most of my time on this part of the map where all my credits will go. I was wondering if I can make a NPC say a certain thing if you talk to them. Is there any possible way to make that happen? Also how do I get a NPC in my map? i need 5 of them.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Five? :S

Without a new script, the only way to get an NPC to talk is to use an env_model and the game_text entity. Suggest submitting what you want these NPC's to do - maybe one of the newer scripters will pick up the slack.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm that hard? :( really I just need each one to say one line when you say hi to them :X I guess I could just make them monsters and kill them I guess. Really wanted the npcs though. The five of them were supposed to represent 5 people who helped me on this map, Thothie being one of them, LOL.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
littleaznboi said:
Hmm that hard? :( really I just need each one to say one line when you say hi to them :X I guess I could just make them monsters and kill them I guess. Really wanted the npcs though. The five of them were supposed to represent 5 people who helped me on this map, Thothie being one of them, LOL.
Didn't say it was hard - just there's no good way to do it from the mapping end - you need a script. It sounds like the sort of simple thing the scripters-in-training could handle though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Describe what ya need over yonder. If it involves spoilers for your map, PM it to me, and I'll add it to the [REQ] scripts list in the dev section.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well I mapped quite a lot so far today. Got most of my credits done, took about 1 to 2 hours. All I need to do now really is light and wait for the scripts I need. Also I've never done any real lighting, any tips on how I should go about lighting the map? :p I'll try to get some screen shots in today.