BSOD!!!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thread got rolled back, but as I 'splained, that error tends to be the result of bad sectors in your page file, which often means the hard drive is failing. Replace the HD before you do an OS reinstall - or you'll just be in the same boat again. You can attach it as a secondary hard drive to get the data off of it, if you don't have an enclosure for it.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thats gonna be tough to do, hardrives cost money, I lot of money at that. And dont you think I can go and buy things online, my parents are paranoid about that.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Should be able to get a small hard drive for under $50 these days at yer local puter shop. "Small" these days is about 100GB, so should be enough, so long as you give up downloading pr0n for awhile. ;)

You'll be puter'less until you fix it, so your folks will likely float you the cash... Not yer fault the puter died, lest you've been turning it off without going through the shutdown sequence or something.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Should be able to get a small hard drive for under $50 these days at yer local puter shop. "Small" these days is about 100GB, so should be enough, so long as you give up downloading pr0n for awhile. ;)

You'll be puter'less until you fix it, so your folks will likely float you the cash... Not yer fault the puter died, lest you've been turning it off without going through the shutdown sequence or something.

I always follow the proper shutdown procedure...

Save and close all open programs.
Reach around the back of the computer
Pull plug
???
Profit!

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:

I only turn it off manually when it locks up.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
BTW, will this error eventually lead to hardrive corruption and end up me loosing files?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It already has:
Stoned said:
As of Sunday of March 07, my computer failed to start. This includes an entirely new bsod error. Now I think I not only need to check my hardrive but to fix my Operating System all together.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I ment my map and model files, you know, stuff like that. And did you get my PM?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Get a SMART analyzer and see how many days it say the HD has to live. Can't think of a good free one off hand to link ya to, sadly.

But yes and yes, everything on that HD is in danger.

If yer lucky, the HD will get some bad sectors one time, and Windows will mark them, and the HD will last a good long time after that (assuing you did the low-level drive scan as instructed). More often, however, ye need to replace the HD at the first sign of trouble - for if you are lucky enough to get a sign, the whole thing tends to die days to weeks later.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
If you absolutely CANNOT go get a new HD, then you'd better back up your most treasured files to a flash drive (or even CDs/DVDs) and by 'treasures' I don't mean games! But as somebody in this thread has said, there is nothing that will stop the HD from failing eventually, which might even be tomorrow for all you know.

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
I had one that had a sign one day and fried the next, it sucked..

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wewt, I got the hard drive back up! Its backing up as we speak and wont be done for quite a while. Now all I need is a total apeshit hardrive e_e