INFO How to make an HLDS Dedicated Server for MS:C

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
:/ Might wanna check the log, when I did it, it downloaded all the files, then gave the error, so...

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thothie said:
:/ Might wanna check the log, when I did it, it downloaded all the files, then gave the error, so...

Worked fine. Downloaded all the server files. I even tried running it and it worked. I must be lucky!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Clearly I've not sacrificed enough babies to The Gaben.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I'm trying to help someone setup a SteamCMD MS:C DS and upon attempting to start restarter.exe, I get this:
QKqWp8R.png
Fortunately I still have this DLL somewhere (fiddled around with your restarter before) so it's not gonna stop me, but it might stop others.

Also, logging in anonymously to Steam with SteamCMD works fine for me... Commands used:
Code:
steamcmd
login anonymous
force_install_dir C:\Games\SteamCMD\HLDS
app_update 90 -beta beta validate
Had to use the last command twice (as mentioned in the first post and in the Valve Developer Community WIKI) but it worked eventually.

By the way, Valve now hosts SteamCMD here:
http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip
Might wanna update the first post with that link.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
VBS5 libraries... Really? It's only by crazy coincidence I have those installed. Granted, RKS apparently did too, so maybe they are standard with some server versions of Windows - but not XPSP3 or Win7 Ultimate, I know that much.

Meh, thing is screwy as heck. I'll put up that link, but who knows when they'll move it again - I suppose I should upload it to RKS and Thothie as well.

Check that you don't get an error at the end of the update with an anonymous login - usually does for me, and it turns out certain files don't get updated as a result.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I don't even know what that DLL is for (nor what a 'VBS5 library' is) but all I know is that I once had this DLL file missing, googled it and found a download link on what appeared to be a reliable website (can't be too careful when just randomly downloading DLL files, that much I do know).

But yeah, it really must be placed in the same folder as restarter.exe or it just won't work.

Also another thing for the first post of this thread: It's
Code:
and not
Code:
app_update "90 -beta beta" validate
But I must confess that I don't know if the latter one gives any problems.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So far I am only able to have my server appear under the LAN tab in the server browser, no other player can see nor connect to it either. Everything seems to be in the right place (files and folders that is), and I had no trouble with SteamCMD nor the restarter program (it's functioning normally now after I downloaded the missing dll file). Also, I am sure that all of the necessary ports are open too, both on my router and windows firewall. What gives? :oops:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The ports are open, but are they forwarded?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:

They are indeed, according to my router's port forwarding menu.

Proof:
knra3V2m.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
But yeah, it really must be placed in the same folder as restarter.exe or it just won't work.
Oh... You needed VBS5 libraries for the restarter not the SteamCMD... That makes sense at least. Yeah, it's old. (And the reason I happen to have those libraries).

Future use:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180071

Stoned said:
The Man In Black said:

Proof:
knra3V2m.jpg
192.168.1.???

Looks like your IP isn't static on the network side.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
Pick a number 2-255, set computer to use that IP, stick the same number the blank at the top. It may force you to define DNS servers, in which case, type ipconfig /all at a dos prompt to snag those first. (Or switch to these if you want some free extra security.)

Also be sure sv_lan is 0 in server.cfg.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Stoned said:
The Man In Black said:

Proof:
knra3V2m.jpg
192.168.1.???

Looks like your IP isn't static on the network side.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
Pick a number 2-255, set computer to use that IP, stick the same number the blank at the top. It may force you to define DNS servers, in which case, type ipconfig /all at a dos prompt to snag those first. (Or switch to these if you want some free extra security.)

Also be sure sv_lan is 0 in server.cfg.

I've set my IP address to 192.168.155, switched to those DNS server addresses you provided, changed the internal IP address for both services to the new one, and after checking the server configuration file I found that sv_lan is indeed set to 0. After doing all of these things my server still appears under the LAN tab--I don't have a clue what's wrong, but now I'm wondering if there are any settings you assumed would be configured correctly when you wrote the original post to this thread?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Server.cfg is part of the tutorial - but it more or less matches the default.

This is an HLDS and not a listenserver, yes? You're not launching this thing from the MSC main menu, right? :\

Also, see if someone else can see your server, or if you have access to puter on another network, check with that. It maybe a network thing - realizing the server is indeed local. Similarly, you may have to use the local address to connect to it from within your network.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
This is an HLDS and not a listenserver, yes? You're not launching this thing from the MSC main menu, right? :\

Of course not.

Thothie said:
Also, see if someone else can see your server, or if you have access to puter on another network, check with that. It maybe a network thing - realizing the server is indeed local. Similarly, you may have to use the local address to connect to it from within your network.

No one can see it--I guess I'll consult Google to resolve all of this.

EDIT: I fixed it!

sUiu7br.png

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I followed the instructions in the first post, but don't actually have a hlds.exe file anywhere to be found. Any ideas why it's missing?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Assuming you used the SteamCMD tool as instructed, it should have downloaded it to your C:\HLDS folder.

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The only differences I made are a slight change in folder names. I'll have to try a to-the-letter install to C:\HLDS after this though.

The contents of my folder (D:\MSCServer) are:

cstrike (folder)
msc (folder)
steamapps (folder)
SteamCMD (folder)
valve (folder)
steamclient.dll
tier0_s.dll
vstdlib_s.dll

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... Something be up... Did ye run SteamCMD.exe as administrator by right clicking on it? Maybe try that and run the install process again. Hope they didn't break something.

I'd just put up one big package with all the files, but... Legalities... Maybe I can fudge it and put something up with the core HLDS stuff, and not the media.

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yes, I am running it as administrator. When running the SteamCMD, I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/JddSKPV.png the first time I try to download the file. However, the instructions state to expect that, so I just run the download again and it keeps going. It finishes with "Success! App '90' fully installed." but there is no HLDS.exe anywhere in the C:\HLDS folder structure, including within subfolders. It should have been downloaded through SteamCMD, right?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If yer logging in as a anon/guest, try using your Steam login instead.

I'll fiddle with a from-scratch install this evening - they may has broke something, again. :/

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Definitely using my credentials, have to validate steam guard and everything.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm.... Ran from scratch, got me muh hlds.exe, but gave me the same error mid download - probably missing something else, given how quick it went.

Instead of:
Code:

Try:
Code:
app_update 90 validate

That seemed to go through without error - maybe they changed how the beta system works, or the beta archive is being sketchy. I suppose, since the SDL issues are as fixed insomuch as they are ever likely going to be, one doesn't have to worry about the beta, for now.

Report back if that works for you too. If so, I'll change the top thread.

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Doing app_update 90 validate didn't work, but logging in anonymously instead of as me did. I'm not sure why that makes a difference, seeing as I own Half Life, but it did.

I'll complete the rest of the server setup when I get home from work.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jonzay said:
Doing app_update 90 validate didn't work, but logging in anonymously instead of as me did. I'm not sure why that makes a difference, seeing as I own Half Life, but it did.

I'll complete the rest of the server setup when I get home from work.
Oddly, that's the same error it throws at me when I try to do it anonymously, so I told folks to start using their Steam Logins.

Apparently, just depends on the thing's mood. :(

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Instead of
Code:
try
Code:

Edit: Oh, you already fixed it. Reading comprehension 101