LOAD_ERROR-RECONECT *If isn't your character, dont click it!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If the server you are connecting to has not yet recieved your SteamID from Valve, your Steam_ID is, STEAM_ID_PENDING - and you will see characters by the name "LOAD_ERROR-RECONECT" with a "DO NOT CLICK" banner in your character list. Like so:

duh.gif

I figured this was an improvement over the old system that was resulting in people getting "Clones" of other player's Characters (which led to some abuse, in addition to overwriting their own). Sadly, people still click on them. So, I'll make it simple:

IF IT'S NOT YOUR CHARACTER DON'T CLICK ON IT!!!
If you do, when your SteamID finally does resolve, the blank character that holds that slot will overwrite your regular character.

Meantime, if you do get those characters, reconnect. If that fails, close HL, close Steam, logout, and reconnect. If that fails, try another server... and if THAT fails - send a fresh live baby to Gabe Newell... but whatever you do, don't click on them!

AmIAnnoyingNow

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I lost my old character to this, luckily i was making a new char with a friend anyways. But i believe i was autojoined after awhile with my middle slot character, so i would suggest not waiting around and just rejoining if you see it.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Darn, I thought I manage to rig this thing so the characters wouldn't load.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the vgui for loading overlays invisibly overtop of the main menu functions.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
That happened to me, but if you manage to quit the game fast enough, it doesn't seem to lose it. I've done this like three times now and my characyer still exsists :p

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The one that's in ALL slots is a dummy character...

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea.. I was going to fast and accidently clicked it. I posted a rollback, which takes awhile to get responded but I understand they can be busy.
So dont click it people!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, I thought I had this thing rigged up to kick you if you clicked it in the last patch, but I guess either its not working (despite working when I tested it), or it saves the character before it kicks you.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It kicked me from my server for even having them on the select screen. Kinda annoying when I have to restart MS:C...

EDIT: May have nothing to do with these chars, actually.. One of the recent attempts at compiling the code was before I re-editted the project file, so I think it tried to overwrite my CORRECT ms.dll with the attempt at a build. Reinstalling and I'll see if that helps.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ms.dll wont load when you try to connect to another server. Just client.dll. I guess you finally got something to compile then, eh?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Not really. I get a partially complete output (I have to go find it) that's .97MB. Still getting errors compiling. Still not understanding how getting this to compile is a requirement to run a debug-CL.dll.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Not really. I get a partially complete output (I have to go find it) that's .97MB. Still getting errors compiling. Still not understanding how getting this to compile is a requirement to run a debug-CL.dll.
Well, send me a list of the errors you are getting now, we'll figure it out eventually.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
plz to be removing thread? There are too many stickies and I don't think this one is needed anymore ;-)