MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
that would be cool if we could transfer our MS:C characters to MS:S

Iselore

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Man, the real fun is building up your character. Don't you want to start afresh in a new engine?

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yea i guess. but also to have all your hard work still with you

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If I get any better at mapping this will be the first thing on my mind , im dedicated to the mod and play it about every week day. I have learned to map for the HL1 Engine not to long ago , maybe I should restart and work on the hl2 engine to prepare for the great MS:S!

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
mapping is very easy to pick up, I would know because I learned by trial and error... and a lot of tutorials. with a lot of practice I made a pretty good map, good enough to be an offical KZ map for cs (map called kz_phoogi if interested). so dont worry, it will come natural soon enough.

as for me, I would LOVE to make maps for this mod, the only problem is I have a lack of motivation. all of my projects seem to be very incomplete, especially my hl2 maps. But, I might pull something out of no where, we will see.

I would really love to model though. If anyone can help me with that, PLEASE teach me OR point me into the right direction for great learning beginner tutorials.
(I have 3ds Max 8, looks challenging :D )

FUCHEN

New Adventurer
Reaction score
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

This link i got off Gaz, it has some really good video tutorials, once you think you have masterd modelling new techniques and tricks pop up that you never thought about. Also having tutorials handy means you can look back over things that you may not be able to rememeber all at once.

To learn 3dsmax takes a bit of time, you basically gotta understand what the modifier stack is.

Also knowing what method suits you for modelling:

Box modelling using primitives.
Plane Edge extrution.
Spline modelling.

Once you have learnt alot of the basics you will want to learn how to make detailed cuts on your model.

Most people model in quads so its a good idea to use "Editable Poly" modifier "Right click the primitive then convert to editable poly".
Then to manipulate the mesh you can either , Rotate, Scale, Move you selection..
In the modifier stacks selection tab you can select what part of the mesh you want to move ie, the vertex, edge, polygon, or element.

Modifiers that i usually use when modelling.

Edit Poly (Good for keeping everything in quads)
Edit Mesh (Not a good habbit, but sometimes easier for managing your edges)
Extrude Face (Quick easy way to extrude from the centre)
Relax (Good for rounding edges that are jaggered)
FFD 4x4x4, FFD Box (Good for shaping breasts or changing proportions.)

Primitives that i usualy use when modelling:

Cylinders (Good for arms, legs, Torso)
Boxs (Good for staying low in polys can be used for subdividing models)
Sphere (Good way to make a ball but wasteful with polys)
Geosphere (Not bad for making a low poly sphere)
Spline (Good for lathes and fast way to outline body shapes)

Probably a bit much for you to swallow all at once but watch the tutorials and practise whenever you can.

Also, if your a good artist you will enjoy modelling, and may be more natural at it.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
im working on a model right now, practice model I guess you can say just to get my skills down and get familiar with the program.

Thanks for the link!

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm as new as it gets consitering that I've downloaded the mod yesterday and played for most of the day, enjoying it greatly. Just to let you guys know, I'm familar with Hammer for the halflife1 engine and I can spend a day or two learning to use Hammer for Source. Also, if I could be a mapper for the MS:S mod, I can gurantee at least 3-4 hours a day minumum minus special occasions. Just wanted to put that out there and I hope you all consiter it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya can map all ya want for us, if you check out the Custom Content section you can find various help. If you're good with the Source engine, I'd suggest harassing the Source team on the IRC (or PM Kuroneko):

irc.gamesurge.net
#msremake

Apparently they are in need of some good mappers. In addition to modelers and coders.

If you don't feel ready for the Source engine just yet though - this is probably just about the best game around to practice mapping on, and we're always looking for even half-way decent content for the HL1 end.

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll spend the next few days getting the Source Hammer down and I'll try my best! For something random to submit to show what I can do, would you like me to remake a certain level? And would you want it to a basic-exact look? Or a same-shape, huge-overhaul kind of thing?

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Actually, consitering Endana to be my most favored place in the mod, I'll remake and revamp the map and post screenshots and maybe a video walkthrough of it (although i'd have to learn how to do that...probably easy...) I could probably and realistically have that up by the end of November for you guys. And a preemptive answer for those who may question my sudden confidence, is that in the past hour, I've gotten familar with Hammer for source, and actively mapping at the moment.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yeah, hammer isn't one of the hardest programs to use...the main problem mappers face is staying motivated :eek:

anyways, an edana source would be cool, i hope you can get that made :)

and i think videos can be made with something from http://www.fraps.com or some such

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Oooooooooh. My computer can handle source, but it cannot handle fraps. Last I tried, my frames tumbled to the single digits. And dont you worry about motivation, I do things for fun sometimes that takes weeks or months, only to get deleted cause I dont really have any use for them. Now that I actually have a goal, and something to look foreward to with the excitement of actually and hopefully taking part on what is now my favorite mod, my motivation wont ever drop.

Molecular

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Concerning master sword: cource.

First off I'd just like to say that it's a great idea and I'm glad the team is moving on. With good team-members etcetera there's really no limit to how ultimately cool a working rpg mod would be on the source engine.

However, I've got a few questions.

What's the layout you're going to take for ms:source?
Is it aiming at being a replica of ms:c, only on the source engine? Will there be the exact same maps, monsters, weapons etc?

Or are you going to touch the game at a completely new angle. New starting areas and new areas to fight? Though most importantly:

WILL HELENA RAIDS BE BACK?! Man I loved those so much. I reckon the source engine shouldn't have a problem with too many entities. That's it for now. Good luck on the way! I just know this is going to be great!

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
First, I'd just like to say that I have been working on the concepts for the new Edana. I can't actually map them right now because I am in Ireland and away from my PC. I've tried mapping on the laptop I brought with me and it's a pain. I was planning on actually starting to map right when I come home, which is October 21.

About what will be in MS:S. Basically, we are using the same world and same history that Lanethan created for the original MS, which is what we did for MS:C. However, everything will be remade. The same areas will exist (like Thornlands) and will connect to the same maps in the same way (such as Edana being south of Thornlands, Helena being north-east of Thornlands) and have the same points of interest and NPCs, but the maps will have a fresh layout so everyone will have to re-explore the world. New NPCs will be added along with new quests. One of the ideas I've been thinking of and discussing with the others is having an alignment system (evil/good). Basically, the quests you can perform are based on your alignment, and the quests you complete affect your alignment. So, an "evil" person cannot perform a major "good" quest, but they can perform smaller "good" quests in order to change their alignment. Not too much has been discussed about new items and monsters and such, but it is on our agenda. Our main focus now is to get a dedicated coder who won't leave us, get a few modelers who can create map props, basic items/weapons, basic monsters, and a basic player model, and have the current mappers create the first few areas of the game (Edana and Thornlands mainly, and Helena, the Dark Caves, and Haunted Forest if things progress well).

So, in short, the world will have the same concepts, but will have a fresh layout of all the areas.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I like the good/evil faction deal a lot =]
Could have an evil town where, if you're evil, the guard wont kill you, nad you can do major evil quests, like, say, assassinate the mayor of edana XD (though if i remeber right, he was bad =P)

sorry, rambling...

actually I meant to ask: Will the maps be the same size? Since source can be much much bigger, you could expand the maps quite a bit, but that would mean adding brand new areas. Just curious :wink:

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
On the subject of expansion, I'm planning out expansions of the temple. As well as the pointless underground pool across from the temple, and the town itself.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i'd like to see quite a bit of expansion...take advantage of the source engine! :D

i would if i was making source maps >_> [might consider after current project(s)]

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Oh my...I've run into quite a nasty jam...Does anyone know why out of nowhere, I'm falling through the ground, blocks and prefabs disappearing at certain places? Help would be greatly appreciated...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
are you falling through displacements?

because i read something about that somewhere on the empires forums, someone was having that problem and someone else told them a command line for compiling and it fixed it...

Xion

New Adventurer
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
are you falling through displacements?

because i read something about that somewhere on the empires forums, someone was having that problem and someone else told them a command line for compiling and it fixed it...

Yes yes! I am! Whats this command line?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
nevermind, i've found the post...quite easy to find actually...

Solokiller said:
Add -novirtualmesh to the command line parameters(in expert mode).
This prevents the displacements from being compiled wrongly.