jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
(Reposting because the forum rollback deleted my thread.) I got inspiration to recreate the MS:C menu screen in map-form, and went with it! Criticism is welcomed.
ms-tower-wip.jpg

And with an update! Added cliffs to the sides, removed some uglies, added waterfall/few foilage.
ms-tower-wip3.jpg

First test compile! A few texture erros but otherwise I think I nailed it okay.
ms-backround0000-1.jpg
ms-backround0001-1.jpg

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
This is awesome. I really hope you finish this and get it in MSC. It would make a great 'in-betweener' map somewhere in Daragoth.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Very nice. It would be a cool feature if MSC could use .bsp files for the main menu screen (like HL2). Not sure if it is possible.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Like I said before, Cry of Fear managed to do that.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Cry of Fear uses the Paranoia renderer, which allows for more advanced texturing effects, etc... although I think they coded the 3D menu in themselves.... who knows? maybe it can be done here.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I must have not read your response quick enough before the restore. But cool! Could be a very fun project for me :D

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
First post updated with test compile pics!

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Well I did some experimenting (fixed the wrong render properties on some textures ofc) with seeing how the r_speeds were, because I was surprised this map compiled so well. Turns out, the highest i got was about 1400 wpoly, which is from being in a corner looking at as much as I can. That's only surprising because that tower is nearly 2048 units tall, and the total size of the map is roughly half of the HL grid. I know this is high, but atm it's great because there's 0 optimization, but either way I doubt this map is very design friendly.

And a couple people seemed to be confused, thinking this would be a playable.. full-fledged map, and I never intended it to be that. This was just a project for fun!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Size is less of an issue than complexity, and that's a pretty simple map. Might be a good easter egg...

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Holy bump.

On a mildly related note, what was originally intended to be the inside of that tower, turned out into a courtyard, and I guess it's now a castle. Could be filled with orcs or bandits or undead or who knows.
Screenshot:
ms-backround-inside0000-1.jpg
ms-backround-inside0001-1.jpg

Desperately needs some poly reduction, which i will get around to. (And lights on the torches!)
And where can I find a link to that allinone.wad? Scrounging around the wads in MSC stinks.
EDIT: Found the wad through a bit of searching.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Lockdown, you dirty liar! You told me you hadn't made any progress! :evil:

Seriously, this looks AWESOME. I cannot wait for this. What a fantastic map you have here. This map should totally connect to srgnt rehabs orc_for. They look like they are in the same general region and both of these maps would do wonders to make our edana/helena region look bigger than it does now.

Thanks so much for the hard work. I can't wait to see the fruits of your efforts fully realized! :D