READ FIRST: KNOWN BUGS AND SOLUTIONS IN MS:C

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
note: this is dated info, much of it does not apply to the betapack edditions of MSC

===========READ THIS===========

The following link is a page of patches that will fix many issues including unplayable maps, incorrect animations and models, quest problems and some balance issues. Do not report a bug unless it is found using these patches

[ link removed ]

HOWEVER, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

=============kthx=============

I will compile a list of all known bugs in MS:C and list their solutions. Keep your eyes on this topic. Reply to this topic if you come across any other bugs not mentioned and if you find any temporary fixes to these bugs.

General Game Bugs

BUG: LAN characters get deleted.
SOLUTION: The character is not actually deleted. What I think happens is when you start a local game (or your own server), the characters aren't loaded until after the character select screen is brought up (this only happens when a server starts up), making it look like your characters are deleted. Reload the map and your characters will appear.
NOTES: The name of your character for some reason gets defaulted back to Adventurer all the time. To prevent this, edit the userconfig.cfg file manually with your name before you make your character.
Sometimes the character is actually gone. Since the deletion happens during map change, if you are going to change maps, first exit out, copy all files in the SAVE folder to a back up file. Then you can load back up and try to change maps. If your character is deleted permanatly, copy all folder from your back up file to the SAVE and your character should be back.

BUG: When nighttime is suppose to kick in, the whole screen turns orange or pitch black. The torch also does not emit light.
SOLUTION: This is not really a bug. The way nighttime works is that it dims ALL of the lights, not just the sky light. Unfortunatly there is no way around this.
NOTES: Some report that a TFC plugin has made it possible for only the skylight to dim and the others remain the same. If we get a copy of this plugin and the code for it, we should be able to put it into the game.

BUG: Game crashes when transitioning.
NOTES: Other than the 100% crash rate maps (which I've listed in the mapping issues section), I have not encountered this problem.

BUG: Game crashes when breaking objects.
NOTES: Seems to only happen when something is broken by using a bow and arrow.

BUG: Give (offer) command doesn't work on NPCs
SOLUTION: That command doesn't work on NPCs anymore. It was replaced with the interact menu (F11 by default). If you have a quest item to give a person on you, it will give you an option to give it to him.

BUG: Weapon does not fire or swing.
SOLUTION: Drop your weapon and pick it up again.

BUG: Model was duplicated everytime I joined another server at one point I had 3 models in one slot on the character select screen.
NOTES: I have yet to encounter this problem.

BUG: Game crashes when joining a server.
SOLUTION: Make sure you're using OpenGL for your video mode. MS will not work in Direct3D and performs poorly in software.
SOLUTION: Possible file corruptions. Try redownloading the game (try from a different mirror).
SOLUTION: Update your video drivers. Kuroneko and others say there are some problems with old nVidia drivers (possibly old ATI drivers as well).
NOTES: There may be other causes for this.

BUG: Hosting a listen server causes the game to slow down and sometimes freeze. Also happens when hosting a dedicated server.
NOTES: Appears to be a memory leak in the HLDS program.

BUG: Spell casting gets stuck after running out of mana instead of going to martial arts.
SOLUTION: Press the drop key.

BUG: Choosing "server side" or "client side" characters for a server option when creating a non-dedicated server does not work.
SOLUTION: Edit the listenserver.cfg file manually to make the proper setting.

BUG: On foreign versions of Half Life, the save folder does not get created.
SOLUTION: Manually add the SAVE folder.

Scripting Issues

Travelling merchant in Helena says "thanks and come agian 2!"
Able to have and item in both hands even when one of them is a two handed weapon. (Not the case with all items, please report which weapons this happens with.)
Two chests in Carthane Halls always has a Great Maul and Elven Shortsword.
Merchants in Helena buy items from players at rediculous prices.
Cannot sling a bow while wearing a big sack.
Various people in Edana not accepting their quest items. (Some have not been updated with the new interact command, others are just plain breaking).
Torch fire sprite does not display when in Edana.
One handed axe is two handed.
Scythe has rediculous range.
Daggers do not automatically go into dagger sheath.

Code Issues

Belt sheaths can hold multiple weapons. (Might also happen with back sheaths)
Presenting evidence to Edrin crashes the game when you don't have the evidence.
Killing a hawk causes the game to crash.
Certain spells won't raise spell skill level.
When you buy something that over-burdens you, you lose your gold and the item.
When the game is laggy and you're typing a message, the letters get scrambled.
When picking up items, gold is not displayed properly. It says things like "65798357 Orc Warriors".
Sometimes unable to spawn on the next map. Right after a transition, your character is grayed out, even though you should be able to join.
Able to strafe with alt when preparing a spell.
Banking items typically leads to character deletion.
Troll has bad hit box.
Dragonflies don't attack back. Just follow around.
Unable to pick up items in water.
When using right click to attack, the weapon in the left click hand gets leveled instead.
Potions in the right click hand do not affect you until you switch them to left click.

Map Issues

Monsters can walk off cliff edges or go into pools in Carthane Halls.
There is a purple texture in the mine in the dangerous pass. It is around the corner of the spider cavern with the big blue pit...
Various monsters sometimes get stuck in ceilings.
Edana Sewers always crashes when loading.
Daragoth Plains always crashes when loading.
Deralia always crashes when loading.
Spikes in Calrain Ruins sometimes don't open after clearing all skeletons.

jack hawkins

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
BUG: LAN characters get deleted.
SOLUTION: The character is not actually deleted. What I think happens is when you start a local game (or your own server), the characters aren't loaded until after the character select screen is brought up (this only happens when a server starts up), making it look like your characters are deleted. Reload the map and your characters will appear.
NOTE: I need to confirm this solution

Yes that is true all you have to do is exit the game and log back in before you dissconect and rejoin a game

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i noticed another scripting bug...its more custom map related...
but undamael and atholo are broken.

and another thing...troch lights even if its putted in the backpack...hmm nwot heres no need for felewyn's light.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Isn't there a programme that turns a map into an .rmf?

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Xeropace said:
Isn't there a programme that turns a map into an .rmf?

Yes, 'cept that it doesn't put it in a usable form. I it badly fragmented and requires a lot of time and effort to be able to start working with it again. For example, at first we lack the source to Helena. So, I had decompiled the old one and began to rebuild. Took me about a month to rebuild the city of Helena.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
and another thing...troch lights even if its putted in the backpack...hmm nwot heres no need for felewyn's light.

The torch will do that for a few seconds after you put it into a pack. It's finishing a scripting loop. (Unless Kuroneko did something right before the release to screw that up)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Seems that Challs issue could easily be resolved via Ripent - just wrong treasure?

Make the day/night system affect light_enviroment - that way it will only effect ambient light, and light emitted by Sky textures - which are the only things that should change anyways. There's an adminmod plugin that does this for TFC - so surely it would be easy to work out.

Can you disable the day/night sys altogether via variable? Edana failing to pay its electric bill is just silly and I'm tired of hearing new players screaming about being blind. ;)

I took a quick glance at MS:C - the font system is far too messed up for me, so I can't really play yet.

I also can't seem to connect to my own MS Central Server (I only tried, since it seems the devs are not yet running one). Looking a the forums now for info on that...

Blaze

New Adventurer
Reaction score
BUG: When nighttime is suppose to kick in, the whole screen turns orange or pitch black. The torch also does not emit light.
SOLUTION: This is not really a bug. The way nighttime works is that it dims ALL of the lights, not just the sky light. Unfortunatly there is no way around this.

it also happens when the weather changes... the only fix i thought you guys could do is to make a Cvar or a command to Disable all OpenGL effects. though it will make the game for more unrealistic, this is the only way to play to its fullest, atleast for me. This will also allow people to use D3D or Software modes

this is the colours i see when the times come:
Sunset:Orange
Night:Black
Sunrise:light Blue
Rain:Blue

It won't allow to play in Software mode too.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Seems that Challs issue could easily be resolved via Ripent - just wrong treasure?

The chests aren't a problem at all, however, monsters falling into pits is

Make the day/night system affect light_enviroment - that way it will only effect ambient light, and light emitted by Sky textures - which are the only things that should change anyways. There's an adminmod plugin that does this for TFC - so surely it would be easy to work out.

Where is this plugin?

Can you disable the day/night sys altogether via variable? Edana failing to pay its electric bill is just silly and I'm tired of hearing new players screaming about being blind. ;)

The only people I've heard complain about that are the ones who can't be bothered to change thier names when they create a character

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The chests aren't a problem at all, however, monsters falling into pits is

I can fix that... Assuming monsters still pay attention to Monster_clips - I stopped the monsters from falling into the canyon on MSCaves that way (just turning other ents into monster_clips and duplicating them along the canyon edges).

the only fix i thought you guys could do is to make a Cvar or a command to Disable all OpenGL effects. though it will make the game for more unrealistic, this is the only way to play to its fullest, atleast for me.

Or just constantly vote in daylight, this seems to work too.

The only people I've heard complain about that are the ones who can't be bothered to change thier names when they create a character

Nope, I've yet to have an "Adventurer" make that complaint - J-M and several other MS vets I recognize, however, I hear it from them aplenty - not that it should matter who's making the complaint. I, myself, sure as hell suffer from major CSS on any server I log into at night, I can't even move in the temple, so I just keep doing time advance votes... Granted, right now I can't even read the text, so I'm not doing much playing till I figure a way to make the chat font work.

In short, it's just intollerable for us Nvidia users (I'm guessing all the devs are ATI or some such - thus seeing it as a non-issue) - pitch blackness in town = not fun, I guess. Need a way to disable it.

Where is this plugin?

Blah, that TFC plugin is old, I'll have to find it... We had it in the Jigglyserver back in 2000. I'll be lucky if I can find the source... You *can* change the light the sky emits just with cvars, so I know it's certainly possible. I could write an AMX plugin to do that much myself, actually, so surely, it would be easy enough to code into the day/night sys.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Nighttime being dark isn't really too much of an issue with me, excepting of course the recent problem with torch dimming. Other than that, nighttime ought to be dark.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I would really love to see only the sky light dim when it's night and all other lights stay the same.

On a side note: I believe all of the devs have ATI cards. :p

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
dRkILL said:
I would really love to see only the sky light dim when it's night and all other lights stay the same.

On a side note: I believe all of the devs have ATI cards. :p

Nvidia Geforce 6600 here :p

Ewok

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It won't allow to play in Software mode too.

I think we've past the era where software mode is an issue or even a variable in the electronic entertainment development process, upgrade.

- Ewok

Sushii

New Adventurer
Reaction score
:( :( :( I can'tjoin servers or create my own.. iv'e tried to do everything that dr.kill has wrote in this topis, and i have updated my video-drivers to the last version, anybody knows anything else that might work? :roll: :roll:

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
my lan character got DELETED, it doesn't exist anymore. Not just that it didn't load, it is gone from existence. Any fixes? Of course start all over again and run the risk of it getting deleted once again.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions. I found a few other things to help remedy this. Please read the first post.

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ive done all that and read it. Afterwards I checked the actual save folder and it is not there.

vertthrasher

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes
Vomika7's character is there and his loaded fine in my server, but my own character did not and is not there.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I think just about every bug has been listed here. I am sorry that I could not recreate some of these bugs. The team is working hard to address these issues.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Though the "quit and reconnect" works in most instances for lan, i've found that sometimes the character is peramnently deleted, no matter what i do.

I've noted that the file is not deleted when i go into the SAVE folder...

So, I've come up with what i believe is something that doesnt fail.
Since the deletion happens during map change, if you are going to change maps, first exit out, copy all files in the SAVE folder to a back up file. Then you can load back up and try to change maps. If your character is deleted permanatly, copy all folder from your back up file to the SAVE and your character should be back.

This method works for me, so hopefully it works for you. It may be tedious, but losing hours of work on your character is much worse.

hope this helps