[Released rv1.1] Dragoon Caverns

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: [BETA V1.1] Dragoon Caverns

Eh, yeah, our elemental circle is a bit oblong. ;)

Bandits are carrying magical weapons, so it is likely, like players, it shouldn't affect their resistances negatively (unless they dun got themselves possessed by an elemental somehow), however, for elementally enhanced creatures, we've been going:

Fire Enhanced/Native = Ice Vuln
Lightning Enhanced = Poison/Acid Vuln
Poison Enhanced (Also almost anything made of metal) = Lightning Vuln
Cold Enhanced/Native = Fire Vuln
Unholy/Outsider/Construct/Possessed = Holy Vuln (Though less if possessed, hence desire for fleshy shells)

Nothing is dark vulnerable, but nor is anything dark resistant - though things that use dark magic or weapons enough gain the unholy taint, and thus are vulnerable to holy damage (this includes players).

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Eh, yeah, our elemental circle is a bit oblong. ;)

Bandits are carrying magical weapons, so it is likely, like players, it shouldn't affect their resistances negatively (unless they dun got themselves possessed by an elemental somehow), however, for elementally enhanced creatures, we've been going:

Fire Enhanced/Native = Ice Vuln
Lightning Enhanced = Poison/Acid Vuln
Poison Enhanced (Also almost anything made of metal) = Lightning Vuln
Cold Enhanced/Native = Fire Vuln
Unholy/Outsider/Construct/Possessed = Holy Vuln (Though less if possessed, hence desire for fleshy shells)

Nothing is dark vulnerable, but nor is anything dark resistant - though things that use dark magic or weapons enough gain the unholy taint, and thus are vulnerable to holy damage (this includes players).

heh seems like the polar opposites to me :p yeah the armors of the dragoons are enchanted, hence why they DoT like they do, Alrighty I'll adjust the scripts to reflect this. Thank you

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I should point out, in the scripts, cold = ice. There's no actual ice type damage.

Any damage type suffixed with _effect cannot be parried, but otherwise will resist as normal.

ms.stx said:
//acceptable dmg types
holy
dark
earth
cold
fire
lightning
blunt
slash
pierce
poison
acid
siege
training
apostle
magic //can't be parried
target //can't be parried

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score

Really sorry to ask this here (not trying to derail the thread), but what player weapons do magic damage again? Out of curiosity.
And does anything in the game actually do earth damage?

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

J-M v2.5.5 said:

Ehehe I don't think so XD I just always figured Affliction as a Earth type magic I was only using it as a example

But quite interesting to see that there is a Earth damage attribute.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

J-M v2.5.5 said:
Really sorry to ask this here (not trying to derail the thread), but what player weapons do magic damage again? Out of curiosity.
ATM, I think, just the demon claws special and alternate attacks. Allows magically resistant creatures to resist them, without violating the law of dark damage - which gives the infernal claws a slight edge, as they use dark. (I'm thinking there's one other, but searching for 'magic' would return a lot of spam. >_>)

J-M v2.5.5 said:
No. Earth magic always does blunt damage, as it is normally applied. The only time you'd actually do Earth-magic damage would be in some sort of magical duel or when fueling some sort of magic artifact, neither of which is something we've gone into just yet. ATM, it's just a reserved damage type.

There won't even be an Earth sphere until we get the dwarves in and/or rebuild the magic system. :\

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

The only time you'd actually do Earth-magic damage would be in some sort of magical duel or when fueling some sort of magic artifact, neither of which is something we've gone into just yet.
Care to elaborate?

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Is Geric an exception to the "doesn't take less damage from dark" rule?

He seems to take 1/10 damage from dark, but normal damage from lightning, so it can't just be magic resistance.

(This is a new thing introduced by this patch btw)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Hrmm... I don't think Geric even knows what dark damage is, not having been modded in ages... He does have a lot of general armor though. :\

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

(This is a new thing introduced by this patch btw)

I think I recall Geric's resistance to dark being before this patch.

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Hrmm... I don't think Geric even knows what dark damage is, not having been modded in ages... He does have a lot of general armor though. :\

It's not just general armor either, wouldn't cause me to do ~23 (lol) damage with a blood drinker at level 40, vs ~80 with a lightning rod hit. (Not bolt, a hit)

Might've been changed before this patch, but I remember using blood drinker to kill him back in the days of JUN2008a because it did more damage than Felewyn shard hits.

I guess it could sort of make sense because of dark armor though.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Re: [BETA V1.3] Dragoon Caverns

Something I noticed: The teleporter destination is a rather small space. If two people jump into the teleporter at the same time, they will get stuck with no way out. How to fix: Make sure there's a lot of headroom, so one of the players can 'jump' out of the other one (this only works with high ceilings).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Multiple teleport destinations for the same trigger_teleport will send players to random destinations.

You wouldn't be terribly offended if I added a grate or something to explain why you can't jump through that first long "window" you come across?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Meh, they're not thinking entities - just the teleporter itself (which has touch/delay think). Shouldn't be an issue.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

One bugger up I noticed, that I shoulda spotted before (but the whole map is so low poly I just wasn't looking) - is that the one hi poly area you do have (the curved chain bridge @ ~1300wpoly) is right next to the boss chamber - meaning during that whole drawn out nasty boss fight of dewm, you're fighting at around ~1300wpoly (the func_door outside dun block no vis). I suspect this will be moider on the ATI users.

Ye might want to setup a horseshoe junction leading to the boss chamber, so the vis doesn't render the bridge area during that fight.

Also, I see no new legible note model in this pack. ;)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
One bugger up I noticed, that I shoulda spotted before (but the whole map is so low poly I just wasn't looking) - is that the one hi poly area you do have (the curved chain bridge @ ~1300wpoly) is right next to the boss chamber - meaning during that whole drawn out nasty boss fight of dewm, you're fighting at around ~1300wpoly (the func_door outside dun block no vis). I suspect this will be moider on the ATI users.

Ye might want to setup a horseshoe junction leading to the boss chamber, so the vis doesn't render the bridge area during that fight.

Also, I see no new legible note model in this pack. ;)

But.. I use ATI and it runs fine :eek: I guess I can add something in to help block Vis.
I almost ALWAYS forget something XD I'll get that note done today.

Thothie said:
Multiple teleport destinations for the same trigger_teleport will send players to random destinations.

You wouldn't be terribly offended if I added a grate or something to explain why you can't jump through that first long "window" you come across?

lol I wouldn't mind at all go ahead. :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Something like this should work:
hipoly.jpg

Good to know your ATI handles it, at least. Doesn't do anything to my card, but you gotta get well over 2k poly before it starts whining. I'm sure it'd give my laptop a heart attack, but I've not tried yet. Generally, anything over 900poly is bad for a combat area though. Helena and Deralia rarely go over 1200, and folks moan about those all the time.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Helena and Deralia rarely go over 1200, and folks moan about those all the time.
Admittedly, Deralia is pretty damn bad when it comes to performance, but people complain about Helena? What the hell?

The worst offender, of course, is Gatecity. Which is a shame because it's my favorite map. Gatecity <3

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Helena has kinda bad performance, about the same as deralia. You wont notice unless you use a laptop with onboard graphic card (like some Intel sh*t)

And yeah, gatecity ftw, followed by the basement at the_keep.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

FER said:

Lol oh man... :roll:

I yet have to try v1.3 and see them changes.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Well, the tunnels, where you actually fight, in Gatecity, should be okay. Think it's just the opening area of the city where DrKill got lazy and/or assumed graphics cards technology would get better, rather than worse.

Helena would need a whole new design layout... I've tried all sorts of stuff short of that. The addition of that huge apartment building running down the middle helped a little, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. Deralia we've no source for, but I suspect there'd have to be some similar drastic changes to make it work out.

Never noticed the basement of The_Keep - although it's not the first time I've heard of the complaint. I can't think of what's around there to play havoc. :\

FER said:
(like some Intel sh*t)
Bah, Intel GMA are just bizarre. My mobo has an internal, and I was stuck running on it for awhile back when I had to RMA my main graphics card. Bugger would even lag in Edana Sewers. But it was odd, it'd all be happy-go-lucky 60fps or so until a dynamic light or sprite came into view, then it'd drop into ~8fps stop-motion-city. I was "Omfg I hear footsteps - please don't be a player with Glow on! ><"

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

zeus9860 said:
FER said:

Lol oh man... :roll:

I yet have to try v1.3 and see them changes.

I've underestimated the effects of making all the torches func_illusionary, because of that they all render everywhere causing a FPS from 60 to 20-30, I've reverted it back in the next version which I'll upload shortly.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

You can't group all the torches on the entire map and dump them into a single func_illusionary model - you have to group them by visible area (room by room and hall by hall). Whether or not they'll render will be determined by where the center-point of the conglomerated map model is.

I woulda caught that, but the map is so low poly in general, I don't think I ever bothered with the gl_wireframe. :\

Also remember with func_x's, the polys that are up against walls or other polys, and wouldn't normally render, still will, so you need to paint them null.