jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Here's an old map of Melanion Ruins (what I had started working on anyway) this is what eventually morphed into the map Shender East. It's slightly populated, fully lit, and, while small, could be released with some additions to it. Perhaps the monster selection should be redone though, I'm not sure how anybody feels about it.

Screenshot Album

Map source + BSP

A note on loading the bsp: You will get script errors if you try to load it, just alt-tab out of MS:C and close all of the 'script error' windows. The map will load fine afterwards and will not spawn the monsters.

To get through the glowing doors blocking your path:
  • Go into your console and type 'ms_dev_mode 1'
  • Type 'usetrig cave1_exit'
  • Type 'usetrig cave2_exitdoor'

Now you can walk through the map with nothing blocking you.

In the event I qualify to win any prizes, I do not want them and forward the prize to whoever wants it.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Re: [Section 1] Lockdown's Entry

Hell yeah, this just keeps getting better and better.

franky200

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score

This looks really nice.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

lore_map.jpg

Good thing ya told me you were still working on this (which you totally didn't) - I was about ready to glue your old map fragment together with four other maps and call it Melanion I. ;)

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Which old map fragment are we talking about? And the map is 95% from mid-2011, basically right after Idemark's Tower.

Glad I could help though? :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Ya sent me some section of this map ages ago and said you were abandoning it - think about the time you started on Shender_East - glad to see you changed your mind. ;)

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Off to basic training, cya guys in a while.

And good luck to everyone who entered!

Rickler

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Lockdown,

Lots of really cool details put into this map but it might be a bit too much for an old engine like this. The lighting wants to look really good but can't give these details the justice they deserve.

Brushwork: Very good brushwork I love the details such as the broken tile pieces and all of the room with the ruined staircase building and hanging contraption. I'm fine with the 1000+ poly count I don't think that's very important anymore. So my only gripe... perhaps make a few of those func_walls into plane brush works to improve the lighting. I don't think it will hurt since it's an indoor map. 8/10

Lighting: The lighting really wants to be good in this map but again those func_walls aren't cutting into brush work making lighting leak by! 8/10

Textures: The dark cave walls and light building textures have good contrast. Although I'm not fond of stock MSC cave textures. 7/10

Layout/Looks: Good layout for blocking the players computer from drawing other rooms. Wishing there were more rooms to explore! 6/10

Overall I'd say 7.5/10

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Lockdown

Score: 7.5/10

Brushwork - 7/10

The brushwork in this map is great. I really love how ruinous the ruins look. The one thing that could be better here is that some of the brushes could have been designed more simply. For example, the exterior of the map is not flat in many areas, and the same idea could have been conveyed with only one side of the brush undergoing vertex manipulation.

Entwork - 10/10

The entity work in this entry is arguably the best in this years contest. That magical machine thing is stunning and the way the monsters spawn is creative. The map is optimized well, too.

Layout - 5/10

Not really much to say about the layout here. From my perspective, the layout is the maps biggest drawback. It almost demands linear gameplay. There are no secret areas or alternate paths. You simply have to fight your way to the end of the map, like every other msc map. It's a shame because a lore map like Melanion can't be allowed to be a simple linear experience. I know more maps were planned for this series, however, and that your intention was not to make a linear map.

Lighting - 8/10

The lighting couldn't be much better. The color choice is excellent and it really sets the mood.

Texturing - 6/10

I feel like there could have been more creativity in choosing textures. The old mscave textures are pretty boring, although I understand how hard it can be to avoid them in an under ground map. There is certainly nothing wrong with the textures, that's for sure.

Overall, I give this map a 7.5/10.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

This is a fantastic entry. The brushwork details the areas very well, and the entity and lighting work help compliment it beautifully. The area also certainly has it's own distinct feel and theme which is held onto throughout the entire level. The textures do end up lacking, it could certainly use it's own custom ones. However, as far as this contest is concerned I think that good choices were made.

Score 8 / 10

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Judging Lockdown's Entry

The Good:
• IT'S A F*CKING LORE MAP!
- One we have somewhere to put to boot.
• Detailed environment, fairly nice texturing.
• Semi-populated (if not for the missing scripts).

The Bad:
• WAY too dark - walked right off some edges of doom with max glow on...
- They maybe ruins, but the Torkies need to see, and there's bound to be a lot of magical lighting, given the nature of the city. May just be magical floaties laying around lighting the place, or mana rifts.
- Lovely spinny thing in second encounter room, but can't hardly see it, as it's not lit right.
• Big Pillar with no clip @ -2113 1154 -95
• Teleporters seem to be unmarked (Maybe just wrong sprite types.)
• Room with bunch of platforms @ -2240 -1088 - can't tell what I'm supposed to do here.
- Is this just the WIP point where it ends? (Looking at the source, I'd guess so...)
• Looks like you made some scripts and neglected to include them in the sauce rar! :oldcry:

Suggestions:
• More lighting
• From the script names, I'm guessing you just made reduced-damage Torkie elves - which helps... But as not all the Telf's are elite bad-ass warriors (and this is supposed to be a mid-high map), I'm thinking maybe what we need here are some non-magic, conventional weapon warriors. Granted, that may mean sticking some more sub-models on them.
• The way monsters spawn is a bit jarring - maybe we can work it so they come in from somewhere.
• Probably needs expansion.
- Hard to be sure, as I'm not sure what you intended to slow up the players with, but certainly seemed to dead-end awfully fast.

Final:
8/10 - Woulda given it a 9 or 9.5, if it had included the scripts though.