Eye Of the beholder map series

Have you ever played Eye of the beholder? And is it a good idea to convert it?

• Yes! And I think this is a good idea.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Yes, though that might not be a good idea.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No, But good idea.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No! This isn't a good idea.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • WTH is Dos?

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Hello! I'm Furion, A Fair Mapper (I've done alot of tinkering)

I just got a clever idea to use maps from a 2d based AD&D game called Eye of the Beholder (Snes/ PC-DOS), and Make 3d versions of it's maps and puzzles for the adventurers to run around to solve and kill monsters to advance.

Image of the game: (Dos)
Eye%20of%20the%20Beholder%20%28DOS%29.jpg

first level

There are 13 maps in total, This series will be made to last a while. Since MSC doesn't have some of the monster that were in EOTB I'll make due with others.

Levels 1-3 - City Sewers (Golbins, rats, bats, and orcs) Also had Knolls but I'll use weak orcs
Levels 4-6 - Dwarven Mines (Spiders, poison spiders, Skeletons, Dwarven city where players can restock items.)
Levels 7-9 - Catacombs (Skeleton Warriors) In EoB, This was Drow territory, Black Elvish people who hated everything
Levels 10 and 11 - Hive (Orcs Orcs and More Orcs) In EoB The hive had bug like monsters that looked like Mantises holding spears and they paralyzed occasionally with their attacks
Level 12 - Xanathar's Lair ( Trolls, and Boss) Not sure what to do for the boss though since MSC doesn't have a beholder .... Any suggestions?

Maplist:
Town of Waterhaven - Not started
Lvl1 - Undergoing construction
Lvl2 - Not Started
Lvl3 - Not Started
lvl4 - Not Started
lvl5 - Not Started
lvl6 - Not Started
lvl7 - Not Started
lvl8 - Not Started
lvl9 - Not Started
lvl10 - Not Started
lvl11 - Not Started
lvl12 - Not Started

Everything is tested on LAN NON-FN
Eye of the beholder belongs to Capcom/AD&D
Conversion done by yours truely

HVR

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That primitive structure reminds me of Doom for some reason. 13 maps though? That's pretty darn big! I'd be surprised if you finished making your map before the MS:C movie is finished. Maybe MS:C movie on the map? Hmmmm.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Doom maps were more fluid than that - they had angles. This here is Wolfenstien. ;)

Trick to making your first MSC map is to THINK SMALL. Make something, simple, small, and that won't eat a lot of time. No one's ever completed a whole series of maps as their first attempt... Even with this wolfenstien'esque layout, I'll be surprised if you get your first one done.

Not to mention, I doubt the folks at SSI would have made the Eye of the Beholder look anything like it does, had they access to the Half-Life engine and hardware when they made it. ;)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
It is Wolfenstein looking because of the primitive I'll be adding angles on the ceiling to give the tunnels look of more support holding up the tunnel, an occasional support beam here and there.

But as I've said before I've done mapping before, managed to publish a map for CS 1.6 but had to remove it due to a major flaw at the second bombpoint. (It crashed servers... :< )

Hehe But anyway I'll be sure to complete at least the first three levels. and test them on multiplayer with a non FN server.

I have managed to figure out how to use HINTs so it won't lag alot.

Wish me luck! :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Shouldn't need hint brushes on a map this simple though. :\ Compile with and without your hint brushes. I'll bet good money you'll be getting better wpoly counts without them.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the r_speeds to display.. even when I have -dev in the command line is there some secret to turning it on in MSC? Works on all my other mods.. just not this one.. *Shrugs* aw well.. I'll hint it anyway and try it with and without.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Type developer 5 in console, then r_speeds 1.

Can't get the wireframe to display without loading it in Half-Life though. It's cheat protected (I guess cuz it could be used for wallh4x) and it seems to be engine side, not found a way around that.

BSP viewer can give you some idea how the splitting is going though.

Ya gotta screw up pretty hard to get bad r_speeds in halls like those though. ;)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Got my wireframe working fine heh using gl_wireframe 2 (2 allows to see all that's rendered, good for spotting if hints are working) but only when -dev mode is on.

Thanks! It worked. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wait... gl_wireframe works in MSC now? Well... sh*t... It does. :D - I took a stab at unlocking it by re-defining the cvar back in FEB2009 (alpha), but didn't think it worked. *shrug*

fear_the_wpoly.gif
w00t! Ph34r t3h wp0ly!

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Ho snap thats alot of wpolys!

hehe Glad I helped ya find out about gl_wireframe hehe :)

Heres a fun thing I enjoyed making in my map.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Basing maps on an old game is one thing, but making them look identical is something else.
While the idea is nice, I really think it looks way too blocky.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
As I said I'm gonna alter them adding supports and details, What you see in the example is the primitive, the structure that currently WiP. Have faith, Once I get to detail it'll look alot better.

And in some areas I'll even add secrets, or other things like stairs or ramps, I'm trying to keep it close to the original yet altered enough to barely notice.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We do have a beholder model, of sorts. (monsters/iposatu.mdl) Oddly enough, would look right at home in the original game. >_>

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Due to the lore nature of the character however it would need a recolor and a worm amputation before it can be used as a normal monster.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Whoa really? :eek: Cool! I guess it wouldn't hurt to get it and a script then right?
Could need a couple attack animations too. heh but it'll do for now.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Due to the lore nature of the character however it would need a recolor and a worm amputation before it can be used as a normal monster.

You forgot looking actually good, or rather have a face that doesnt look cartoony. Dont worry, I plan on reamking it.

BTW any pic of how the beholder looks?

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
FER said:

You forgot looking actually good, or rather have a face that doesnt look cartoony. Dont worry, I plan on reamking it.

Yup
beholder.gif
but a texture on the body that looks less like crap. XD

Like this :p
beholder.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Closest thing I have, other than the model I linked before, is this:
skrag.jpg

Might need another bone set to work well though. I wish I knew how Little-G converted his (err... FER's) elves to the bandit bone set so easily.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Anything that is similar at least till we can actually get an actual Beholder model *chuckles* Anyway it could work.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
FER said:

If possible can you remake iposatu too?
There is a concept art in the mss forum.

Be sure to get the colors right

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, if you can get me a nice even UV map, I might be able to slap something together.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Fer if possible make a thread and post progress for the remake of Iposatu so i can help you with the details :)
157yhqo.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Any progress on this? Or did you realize that maybe 12 maps is a bit much for your first project, even if they are NSES 8-bit style? ;)