Hammer 3.5 3D view selecetion problem

Jon

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Hai. I'm back and I wanna map. I got a laptop which is faster then my desktop by a noticeable amount, but I have a problem. I'm running off...

Processor - Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40ghz
Ram - 4GB
OS - Windows Vista 64 Bit
GPU - Radeon HD 3670

Im using Hammer 3.5 ( beta >.> ) and whenever I try to select something in the 3D view it doesn't work. I have the selection tool selected and everything. I created a random box and then to select it by clicking it in the 3D view and its a no go. I suspect the problem being that I'm using 64bit Vista or my GPU.

I have a free upgrade to Windows 7 which I plan on using soon. Anyone know a fix and/or if hammer 3.5 works fine on windows 7?

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Jon said:
Im using Hammer 3.5 ( beta >.> ) and whenever I try to select something in the 3D view it doesn't work. I have the selection tool selected and everything. I created a random box and then to select it by clicking it in the 3D view and its a no go.

Can you explain that part some more pl0x, I don't get what you're asking :3

Jon

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
lol uhh.

When I try to click ( select ) a box/model/entity/anything using the camera ( 3D ) view in hammer it doesn't work. I can click objects in the grid windows (x/y/z) but I can't select anything in the 3D window. >.>

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The problem is with your video card. Radeon drivers arent the greatest with older opengl applications. I had the same exact problem and the only solution i could find was getting an nvidia card. pretty big price to pay just to map.

J

New Adventurer
Reaction score
That's not the only solution.

As I mentioned in the "VISTA/ATI ISSUES [/BIG WHITE BOTTLE IN FACE]" thread, it's due to the driver version. The newer drivers do that. One workaround is to install older drivers (7.11 still worked), but there's a better way: you need to get atioglxx.dll from an older version of the ATI drivers and place it in the Hammer directory. That way you can still have the latest drivers but have Hammer use the dll of the older drivers.

I'll get the file uploaded for you...

Get it while it's hot

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if the file works on your setup but it's worth a shot. If it doesn't, you could try installing the older drivers.

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
For Jon's sake i hope youre right. When i bought my x1800 a few years ago i had no choice but to use newer drivers because the card didnt support the older ones. I think they were the catalyst 6.1 drivers where it started to mess up hammer. Hammer worked fine with my older x800gt which used catalyst 5.8 drivers.

When i got a radeon hd3870 and found that hammer still didnt work i finally replaced it with an nvidia card. Now hammer works fine again and older opengl games dont lag anymore, but now my tv out doesnt work. I just cant win.

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
This has been fixed with the latest ati drivers so if you update you'll be able to use hammer properly again.

the atioglxx.dll fix doesn't work on 64 bit os'es, you'll get a bsod when the 3d view loads.