mapping problem

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis one of the things we tried with Kungfu's map, but we couldn't figure a formula to make it work. Can't simply drop the fractions on all the vertexes, because eventually they get offset by whole numbers, and you just wind up with a neigh infinite number of leaks. Had to start over in the end.

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Well I had a map on source, performed very well. It started out as a carve tool test, and I just started adding junk on to it until it came to be a full blown map.

DM_Minewar for any of you hl2dm players after a few weeks of release.

I didn't run across any problems.

That was also at the time where I read that the issue with the carve tool was how sloppy it made the cut. (by direction)

SO, that leads to the question, is carve causing such known problems in source aswell?

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
no. source can handle anything

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
this is even more illegal:
illegal1.jpg
(forget the error name) you cannot do that :p
That there would be a concave brush, which is a (partially) hollow brush. The Goldsource engine (and the Source engine too) can't handle these kind of brushes. Every single brush in your map must be convex (not hollow) if you want to avoid freakish errors.

P|Barnum said:
DarkWasp said:
SO, that leads to the question, is carve causing such known problems in source aswell?
no. source can handle anything
Carve a giant cube with a spiral staircase and then say that again.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
source can handle anything...

in respect with making everything that can make the goldsource engine run with such high r_speeds

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
I tell u all a very good secret since ur corners r all to hmmm i forgot word but nvm

curve01.jpg

http://www.editlife.net
that website is very usfel for help even tho its a source tutorial site.. it has some tutorials that could be used with hl1 aswell :wink:

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to 47 days ago.

Also, angles that smooth in Goldsource won't work. It'll only cause lag and maybe even map bugs, if you mess up.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
errrm yea how come i've doen angles like that loads of tiems b4 in hammer i'll get a screenshot if u want :S

EDIT: how can u mess up? if u go back 1 page and fidn the text below that picture it tells u how to do it
Its simple and it works

Oedipus

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
vertex.JPG

'tis how i make most of my verted stuff rocks/ground apart form that i usually stick to 4sided 4 pointed brush's that unless turned inside out or made flat are infallable . Other than that i just use it to move things as is alot of cases it's quicker than just useing the clip tool.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
hammer.jpg

:p there u go J-M all nice and smooth ifu don't think thats smooth enough i can make a new one

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, but anything made up of that many brushes had better well take up half your map. ;)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Not to mention that you used way more brushes than necessary.

Seriously, holy crap, look at the first picture. I could make the same thing with 1/4th, maybe 1/5th the amount of brushes.

Not that I would, though, total waste of time. You don't need corners that smooth in Goldsource and as Thothie said, you might as well remove them so you don't hit your brush limit - that'll give you the opportunity to make something useful rather than way-too-pretty.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
lol yea but i was saying u could be able to do smooth corners liek that!

no arguements