The forgotten outpost - RELEASED

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
maybe you could add the jungle borsh orcs for him?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Current plans for those maybe a bit redundant... But we'll see... I may make some variants...

The Blackhand Fire Shammans should be more along the lines of what he needs, but I just got home, and likely won't have a chance to get at them for a bit.

...all of this script writing also seems to have put Helena2 at a standstill.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It was his alternate attack, but I don't think it was worked into the game

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
wow, its amazing how ms seems to continue to grow even though the devs have moved on to another mod... i wonder if THAT one will ever be finished...

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
wow, its amazing how ms seems to continue to grow even though the devs have moved on to another mod... i wonder if THAT one will ever be finished...

isnt it the same mod / differnt engine?

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes so everything has to be redone, but better this time. And hopefully the coding system they want is easier to do on source.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Today's update includes something that may help further:

monsters/orc_shaman_fire

Throws fireballs - 'splodes into a firewall on death. (This firewall does not harm nor frighten his fellow orcs nor trolls - nor do his fireballs).

He can do up to 100dmg (inc armor) with a fireball - plus some additional burn damage (varies), and unlike the Troll Boulder - fireball has no falloff. He is MUCH more fragile than the troll though, and his melee attacks (which he uses whenever anyone gets too close) are fairly weak - even if he can set you on fire with them.

I should warn you that you may get some 'odd behavior' if you put this guy into combat with other monsters. They are pretty susceptible to his firewall on death trick, but in addition, they seem to start thwacking at it - and/or some invisible enemy that lingers once it is gone. (Not sure whaddup with that, just be forewarned.) Shouldn't be an issue on your map.

Warn me if your guard needs more HP to survive this onslaught.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I don't know about this new one or HP on the other, but with the troll lobber, he drops his boulder whenever he gets hurt. The problem is, with poison and fireball, he has a hard time throwing any at all. Any way you can think of fixing this (Like a clip that doesn't stop his attacks but stops players from using magic [only for turrets])

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thanks for all the new monsters thothie ;)

right now i'm re-designing the map to avoid people sitting on those cliffs...as archers on the ground dont like to aim (they shoot at them, but nearly never hit)...

it will still look basicly the same, but the wall will probably be a bit beat up to allow archerst to shoot through it, and for the warrior orcs to more easily get into the outpost. the cliffs might be redesigned, i'm not really sure yet, but progress has definately been delayed.

I probably wont get much actual work done today, as i've got to mow (huge yard), wash clothes, etc...

If anyone has any layout ideas that you think would work perfectly for this map, post up a picture (diagram) and i'll take a look. I might even see one i like and decide to use it, or use it with slight editations. If you make a diagram, please include a key so that i can tell which parts of it are at what elevations, where towers are, where the orcs invade from, where the guy you're protecting is, and other such things.

If no one has done this by the time i'm done with the things on my list of stuff to do, i'll be working on a new layout.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
he drops his boulder whenever he gets hurt.

I gave him a 30% flinch chance... Sad thing about the flinch function - it doesn't have the option of a damage requirement (ie. you must do at least X amount of damage to make a monster flinch)... I suppose I can reduce his flinch chance to 5% in the next patch... Although, generally I tend to give ranged beasts a higher flinch chance so they can be 'distracted' until you get close. Maybe I can figure a way to add a damage requirement for flinch for the higher end beasties.

right now i'm re-designing the map to avoid people sitting on those cliffs...as archers on the ground dont like to aim (they shoot at them, but nearly never hit)...

Was hoping some of these AOE shooters would help that.

it will still look basicly the same, but the wall will probably be a bit beat up to allow archerst to shoot through it, and for the warrior orcs to more easily get into the outpost. the cliffs might be redesigned, i'm not really sure yet, but progress has definately been delayed.

Another thing you might consider is a cliff that breaks after awhile. (func_breakable + multi_manager). You can also, in theory, use a msarea_scripted, with the scriptname "helena/structure" or "helena/stonewall" - and should break when the first troll-rock (or catapult) hits it.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I've just tested the shaman, and he's plenty mean ;)

Once i get some spare time, i'll redesign my map and work on it a ton to make up for the lost time i spent on my current make of the map...

i'm thinking it needs some cliffs near the back, insead of in the front...and perhaps i'll put the guy in a cave near the back, some sort of defended cave or something...not just a random cave...but that might not work if monsters dont find him...(i'd use lures to show them where to go, but once one is dead the chain is broken).

After i've finally gotten the design down to a non-cheatable map, where the orcs will actually kill the guy, i'll add in a few guards (like the town guards, no one special) and begin the balancing stage...for that i might need the help of a few people...

I'm going to try to balance the map so that 3-4 smart level 25 players can beat it most of the time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...(i'd use lures to show them where to go, but once one is dead the chain is broken).

Use Lure's with multiple lives, and a fixed respawn delay. (delayhigh/delaylow)

I you can also use ms_npcscript to affect movement of NPC's to a degree. You can set them into their run animations, etc. It can be a bit more haphazard sometimes...

Here again, is the ms_npcscript entry for the FGD, if you haven't found it already:
Code:
@PointClass base(named) = ms_npcscript : "NPC Script"
[
	target(string) : "Monster Name"
	type(choices) : "Type" : 0 = 
	[
		0 : "Move"
		1 : "Play Anim"
		2 : "Run Script Event"
		3 : "Move, then Play Anim"
		4 : "Move, then Run Script Event"
	]
	moveanim(string) : "Move Anim"
	actionanim(string) : "Action Anim"
	eventname(string) : "Script Event"
	firewhendone(string) : "Fire, when finished"
	firedelay(string) : "Fire Delay" : "0"
	stopai(choices) : "Disable Monster AI" : 0 = 
	[
		0 : "No"
		1 : "Yes"
	]
]

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
well, i've finally gotten around to redesigning my map...and, while i'm not going to post the layout here (due to spoilers 'n such), i'm going to label it a bit and send it in a PM to thothie, so...postin here to let everyone know that there is a new layout.

The current map is only going to be used to test out new monsters until the new version is ready to test monsters equally well, or better.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
well, i'll get to that in a bit... as for now, i'm detailing the terrain....

i'm thinking of adding some intentional good camping spots, and i'm re-working the camp to allow more visibility blocking. I've also changed the grass texture to dirt, looks a bit better.

i'm having trouble getting detail into the cliffs surrounding the camp without raising the skybox though...any suggestions?

the details on it so far are mostly big rocks sitting on it, parts of it that have collapsed...things like that...

maybe i'll go look at other maps to see if i can get any ideas.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
what i've found about terrain detail, is that if you try and over-do it, the time and effort put into it is definately not worth it, since hammer is so bloody picky about what you can do, if you want is to look really nice, you have to biuld crap out of triangles, which, i know from personal experience, takes forever.

so, try and keep it fairly simple. I've found that terrain detail never makes a huge imperssion on me after i've played a map. if the gameplay is good, and a fair amount of attention was giving to making it look good, then you got a winner.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You can also break up your terrain with our rather wide selection of env_model trees, and various {transparent plant textures.

Somtimes you can get away with a few random acts of violence on a cliff-face or such via the cliptool. Just be sure to check for invalid objects via ALT-P after each splice you make, and clip brush it, if you think a player can get stuck in the new crevice.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I try not to make crevices that players can get stuck in...as i'm usually the one getting stuck...

EDIT: eh, shouldn't a posted that so fast...i think i'm going to try the daragoth method of making the cliffs a bit more interesting, along with continuing the (theme?) i have right now...unfortunately, unless you've got some dead plants and dead trees, they wont fit well with it. (i'll look for those tomorow)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
also...i got fed up with the vertex manipulator a long time ago, and i've been doing this all with the clip tool... (no rotate and then clips though)...

i tried working on the caves earlier today, but i couldn't find a way around using the carve tool...wouldn't be too bad if they werent supposed to be all curved and such, but when i try to use carve in there it just freaks out and makes about 30 out of world brushes, which i then have to delete...any ideas for caves that dont involve the carve tool? or at least not very much of it?

on a side note... free transform keeps dying -.-

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
vertex manipulation is your friend =]

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I say... good luck to the mapping thing, I used to try and map... but I didn't have enough patience to put even thirty minutes into a 'project' of mine (aka a rectangle map with eight orc warbosses, nowhere to hide, and they want you dead). The rectangle map was something I made just to fuck with people in MS-1.35... I don't think anybody ever joined my server though, perhaps they didn't like a map called 'OrcApocalypse'?

[size]Muwahaha, Whenever I made a map it generally was only meant to piss somebody off, not to have any actual goal other than running for your life

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
I try not to make crevices that players can get stuck in...as i'm usually the one getting stuck...

EDIT: eh, shouldn't a posted that so fast...i think i'm going to try the daragoth method of making the cliffs a bit more interesting, along with continuing the (theme?) i have right now...unfortunately, unless you've got some dead plants and dead trees, they wont fit well with it. (i'll look for those tomorow)

download RECB and see if u can use theyre models i think they got some.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... Thothie I'm interested in learning how to code C++... yet I don't understand the Beginner's Books too well... think you can give me some form of hint as to understand it better?

Or do I have to learn normal C first, I haven't been able to find a book to teach that yet (this is all for pure hobby use just to let you know). I suppose I would like to understand more about how computers & their affiliated programs work.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
theres a few of the shrub/bush textures i can use....
no dead tree models that i see though....

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
new screenshots added to main post, and progress has been updated.

i've thought of a way to do the rest of the terrain detail, it'll just take awhile and i dont know if i'll have time tomorow...i'll also be making the caves in the next few days..those wont take very long, as they are fairly small. after that, i'll be trying to find a place for the barracks and the armory...those are the buildings i've decided to put in...and they'll probably take a day or two...

after those are done, i'll be adding in the waves of orcs...haven't decided how many waves to put in...maybe like....20 waves of fire shaman yeah!!! >: D

once i've gotten the waves in, i'll need testers to make it balanced...i can test losing on my own...make sure they can find the guy and such...

hey thothie - how did the orcs in old helena ever find that guy in the bar? i mean, its not like he's visible...he's in an enclosed building where the only entrance is a back aley and a single door/opening...did they just kind of, wander to him? or did it rely on the players falling back from losing?